Good diving: shallow and easy to get to. Is this possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

momliz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are a diving family, two Jr OW certified (14 yrs old), and us, the parents. All pretty new to diving. We are looking for a great diving location for spring break. We had considered Cozumel for Christmas break, but that fell through, as much because so many of the dives there are deeper. I would like the kids to mature some, and all of us to get more experience before we do any deep dives. We were in Belize this summer, and loved, loved it.

So, my wishlist for a trip for us includes the following: good, shallow dives (at or less than 40', the limit for Jr OW), and easy to get to from the east coast (IAD is our preferred airport). Belize was great - what else is there? Prefer little to no shore diving, since we are more comfortable with a DM to show us around.

My son and I did our checkout with Dive Abaco out of Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas. Lots of air service in and out of Florida. You can stay at the Marina Hotel or elsewhere using a package plan. Most of the diving was shallow, and in all cases there were portions of the reef that were very close to the surface.

Keith Rogers the owner, is a really great guy and he leads every dive. You might contact him and see if you can set up some dives within the kids limits. This is some really great diving. You can see some of the pictures about half way down the blog I did of our trip to the Bahamas.

Split Decision

Here is the link to Keith's Dive Abaco site.

Bahamas SCUBA Diving & Snorkeling with DIVE ABACO! Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas Since 1978

I dive with my sons, isn't it a great family activity?

It IS a great family activity, providing the kids are mature enough to be safe. Mine are, most days, but they can get silly. Which is why I want to stay shallow for now.

The Bahamas is VERY high on my short list - it is definitely cheap and easy to get to, a priority. But, aren't there huge crowds diving because of that? Are the reefs really healthy? Cruises and traffic concern me. I was looking at Small Hope Bay's website last night, looks beautiful, and pricey.

Roatan is also on the short list - not too expensive from Dulles, and Coco View looks perfect. Also, being further south it may be a tad warmer in late March/early April. The diving would be similar to our Belize diving, no?

Friends are going to Curacao - but the flights are a little pricey, and I found a great rate to Saba last night, only to have it disappear a few hours later. Sigh... How is the diving in St Croix? Is it crowded? How would it compare to the Bahamas?

Both my kids dive. One of my kids likes to go on vacation and do a few dives my other child wants a dive vacation. Four dives a day minimum. For the dive nut COCO VIEW is her favorite dive location.

You can fly direct from the USA into Roatan on either Delta or Continental.

Saba should not be on your list at this point in time.

It's a great dive/vacation destination (I am going with the dive nut kid in May) but the diving is deeper that your 14 year old should be doing.

Saba should be on your list when he is 17-18 years old - if your family continues to dive.

I
The Bahamas is VERY high on my short list - it is definitely cheap and easy to get to, a priority. But, aren't there huge crowds diving because of that? Are the reefs really healthy? Cruises and traffic concern me. I was looking at Small Hope Bay's website last night, looks beautiful, and pricey.

The part of the Bahamas I was recommending is on the Sea of Abaco. No Cruise ships at all, and no crowds. The southern Bahamas near Nassau sounds like what you are describing.

Dive Abaco trips are almost exclusively to the Fowl Cay Preserve. This is a protected reef sanctuary about three miles long that is generally shallow with a few walls and served by just a few dive operations. Primarily out of Hopetown and Marsh Harbor. I never saw more than two boats on the bouys. No Cattle boats.

We were doing our diving in November thru January and never had more than eight divers on the boat, usually six.

Some friends we met while diving, who were well traveled divers, told us we would be spoiled after our experiences in the Abacos.

thank you very much! I knew I could count on you all. OK, Saba postponed for a few years - check. I looked at Dive Abaco's website, and they look great, except for the weather - as of today a high of 75 sounds positively wonderful, but I would like more. Our spring break is late March/eary April, so I think further south may be warmer. How is the diving in Tobago? Flights to there aren't too expensive.

(We are not dive nuts, by the way, and aren't high maintenance either. 2 - 3 dives a day will be plenty, although I at least want to take a few courses towards my AOW - Peak Performance Buoyancy is one I would like to do at some point.)

I think something to look for is locations that have smaller diveops. It sounds kind of selfish, but what you want to do is ensure that the 4 of you are the largest group on the boat so if/when the diveop allows you to pick/suggest locations you can pick shallow ones. And tell them upfront that you are so they can alert the other paying divers. Especially during spring break when you can expect everything to be crowded.

I'd also look for something a little removed from the mainstream during spring break which leaves out most of Mexico and anywhere there's significant cruise traffic like Puerto Rico or St. Thomas.

As an example, even though Grand Cayman typically does deep 1st dives on the Wall, a smaller diveop like Indigo or Ambassador is only going to take 6pax per trip. I believe Indigo only takes 4 on their smaller boat. And there is a lot of good shallow diving off Cayman. A couple of the "Gardens" sites south of town were only 30-40' as I recall.

In addition there are shoredive options that are optimal for your teens, you can hire a DM at most of them with notice. Turtle Reef is one of the best dives I've done there, it's 40-50' max to the sand, the good stuff on the wall starts at 20'. There's easy access via a ladder and Sundivers onsite for the DM. In town, Eden Rock/Devils Grotto doesn't exceed 40' afaik, a lot of it was 15' from the surface. And there's Stingray City, the most fun you/your teens will have diving. It's 14' deep sitting on the bottom. Downside with Cayman is that it's wicked expensive topside. You could also dive a lot of Sunset House's reef, they have a Saltwater Pool (open to the ocean) for entrance and a lot of shallow reef. The classic dive there though, the Amphitrite Mermaid is about 55' to the base.

The Virgin Islands might be another option, especially the BVI's. The smaller islands south of Virgin Gorda - Cooper, Norman, Salt, Ginger etc. all have great boat diving in very shallow water. Most people stay on Tortola or Virgin Gorda. One way to get there less expensively is to fly into St. Thomas and take one of the hourly ferries over. They leave from both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook on the East End - getting to either costs about the same as it's a cab or a shared van to each location - google BVI ferries for a schedule. Leverick Bay is a somewhat reasonable option to stay there, they have a beach and diveshop onsite.

The Aquarium, one of few dives just off Virgin Gorda was 40'. Obviously lots of fish there. There's a bunch of sites off both Scrub and Cooper Island, at Scrub I don't think it's possible to get below 50'. Some of the Cooper dives were good at 20'. We did Alice's Backside at Ginger Island, not only was it flat calm but the whole dive was 20-40'. And interesting stuff to see, lots of rays IIRC.

DiveBVI is the larger diveop on VG, during the week we did a couple dives with a brand new young teen diver and his dad - they provided a DM just for them.

I might rule out Nassau as Stuart Cove's has a lot of boats and often a lot of divers per boat. They do however break their groups out by experience level. Bahama Divers, the other diveop, does the blue holes and more advanced diving.

There are some really shallow dives near SC's - Hollywood Bowl actually starts in 10' -the vast majority of sites they do are in the 50-70' range though. They have an interactive map on their website with details.

hth,

and, to complicate things further, I was just talking to one of the kids, who told me he was frightened by the wall dives we did at Thatch Caye (which we otherwise loved) so wall dives are out. I guess that means no Little Cayman?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom