Good diving: shallow and easy to get to. Is this possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this in "Greater Caribbean and Bermuda" because you've ruled out the Florida Keys?

If not, it would be a great place to go.

Charter a 6-pack boat and your family can have the whole boat to yourselves.

and, to complicate things further, I was just talking to one of the kids, who told me he was frightened by the wall dives we did at Thatch Caye (which we otherwise loved) so wall dives are out. I guess that means no Little Cayman?

I recommend not pushing your son on this. I have a friend who's wife dives with him and she is terrified of walls so there are several locations that he does not even look at. The Cayman's are one of those locales.

Everyone needs to be comfortable diving and experience can change things.

Dan you are totally correct - I will not push him - this is supposed to be fun, after all. and safe so he/we need to stay within comfort levels. I think he got frightened just looking at the wall going down, down, down and it is disconcerting, thinking you will fall. And this is a child who has flown a plane - go figure!

Steve - thank you! back to Kayak to research ticket prices and how hard it is to get to all these places. We had our own DM at both places we dove in Belize - Thatch Caye and Ambergris with Ecologic, and that worked very well for us - we poked along at our own speed and depth.

I would second the suggestion that you go to the Keys. The diving is really good. You will also have ample dives of only 25-35 ft, if you make it clear that you wish to avoid the wrecks and a few other deeper dives. Fly in to Fort Lauderdale on Southwest, rent a car and drive 90 min to Key Largo. Take a day off and visit Key West or the Everglades.

Both my kids dive. One of my kids likes to go on vacation and do a few dives my other child wants a dive vacation. Four dives a day minimum. For the dive nut COCO VIEW is her favorite dive location.

You can fly direct from the USA into Roatan on either Delta or Continental.

I agree with DeputyDan - Roatan has everything you are looking for. It is a great dive destination for all levels - beginner, intermediate, and advanced. CoCoview is our favorite but it might not be the best for you will the kids (no beach, no pool, no tv). They might enjoy the resort right next door, Fantasy Island, much better. The dive schedule there is 3 boat dives per day, plus they have a beach, pool, and activities. There is a dolphin program over at AKR and you can book to go there to snorkel or dive with them one day, too. Since Fantasy Island is all-inclusive, you won't have to worry about feeding the hungry teens either. (I went through this with mine a few years back. She was constantly hungry!)
Check out Fantasy Island specials right now, too. They are a really good deal.
Rotan Honduras diving vacation rates and trip quote - Bay Adventures

it isn't a fancy resort but I think you will all enjoy it. Plus the diving will be great for the kids as they can go shallow on almost every boat dive. There are walls but they don't have to go over the edge of the wall, they can stay right on top. You can do any classes you want there, too.

robin:D

The AKR Dolphin dive was 60' to the sand. So that may not work for them.

Have you thought about Bonaire?? Yes it is the "shore dive" capital or the world,but you do not have to do beach entries.You can opt for boat dives,which are very inexpensive for boat dives,and the boat dives are guided.You can stay as shallow or go as deep as you wish.I have a group going in April and as a thankyou for joining us we offer either the 4 ow training dives required for certification or a free advance course.Very family friendly,as you may be able to be in a 2 bedroom condo with full kitchen facilities and buffet breakfast are included.If interested in full details pm me here.

Thanks again, all, for your suggestions! For some reason, Roatan just doesn't thrill me. I know we will go someday but for now I think we will pass - maybe because we were just in Belize, and I guess it's part of the same reef system, even though I'm sure they are different in many ways. And, in trying to decide between the Out islands of the Bahamas, T & C, BVI, and all the other places, there are so many pros and cons for each that it is a really tough decision. But, the main factor is the quality of the diving. And, for that it looks like you can't beat Bonaire. So, thanks oly5050 for saying that we can do some boat dives. Therefore, that's where we are leaning. Boat dives for the first couple of days, until we are truly comfortable, then off we will go in a pick up, tanks in the back, and our copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, which I just ordered. I need to make sure the rest of the family is OK with this. But travel times are all similar, ticket prices are, too, and there is the allure of being in a former Dutch colony so we will be able to sample a different culture. We love to dive, but we also love to travel, and see new things, meet people, do cool stuff.

Now, to figure out where to stay, and who to dive with... More decisions! :confused:

If you are going to go with Bonaire.

I have stayed at

Buddy Dive
Den Laman
The Belmar
Golden Reef Inn (this month)

If you have specific questions send me a PM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom