Good diving: shallow and easy to get to. Is this possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll chime-in with another vote for Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan. We've been there twice. My 10-year-old son learned to dive there last summer. He and my 7-year old son loved the Dolphin Camp, too. Many of the dive sites start at about 20 feet. You can stay at that depth or swim to the edge of the wall and down from there. Great vis and no current. Plenty to do topside, too. Here's a link to my blog for more photos:

Jet Lag Journal: Honduras

Check flights to Bonaire before you decide. It's not what I would call 'easy to get to'.

If you can get past that part, it might be a great choice.

Thanks again, all, for your suggestions! For some reason, Roatan just doesn't thrill me. I know we will go someday but for now I think we will pass - maybe because we were just in Belize, and I guess it's part of the same reef system, even though I'm sure they are different in many ways. And, in trying to decide between the Out islands of the Bahamas, T & C, BVI, and all the other places, there are so many pros and cons for each that it is a really tough decision. But, the main factor is the quality of the diving. And, for that it looks like you can't beat Bonaire. So, thanks oly5050 for saying that we can do some boat dives. Therefore, that's where we are leaning. Boat dives for the first couple of days, until we are truly comfortable, then off we will go in a pick up, tanks in the back, and our copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, which I just ordered. I need to make sure the rest of the family is OK with this. But travel times are all similar, ticket prices are, too, and there is the allure of being in a former Dutch colony so we will be able to sample a different culture. We love to dive, but we also love to travel, and see new things, meet people, do cool stuff.

Now, to figure out where to stay, and who to dive with... More decisions! :confused:

PM sent

Perhaps it has already been mentioned (haven’t read the entire thread yet), but Jamaica sounds like it would be a good choice for you. I did my first dives there, off of Negril. Was very easy diving, great dive shop, and surprisingly good marine life. If I recall, we stayed at about 40’, but could go a bit deeper if we wished (60’ maybe).

I'd like to throw a vote in the ring for Small Hope Bay Lodge. We're a 10 minute flight from Nassau and are on the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world. There are lots of beautiful shallow dives for the kiddos to do, along with some great deeper diving for mom and dad!

Check us out at Bahamas All Inclusive - Andros Bahamas Hotel - Bahamas Vacation

Prefer little to no shore diving, since we are more comfortable with a DM to show us around.

I'll second Divebunny's suggestion of Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros. Excellent diving that's relatively close by. A great place to go.

Just checked out Small Hope Bay Lodge’s website… looks like a pretty nice place*. Seems like a relaxed place, not overbearing, and grounded. I’ll be in Ft. Lauderdale in a couple weeks to see my sis. I might have to see if I can make my way out there for a few days. My only gripe is that it looks a little pricey. Not overwhelmingly so, but a bit pricey.

* no, I’m not employed by them.

Have you considered St Thomas, we have shallow dives, not much shore diving. We are easy to get to, direct flights from Dulles daily (we are from MD). All of our boat dives are guided and it is hard to break 100' here, most dive sites are bout 40'. We are kid-friendly (they are usually great divers) and have wrecks that are within your limitations. Sounds just like what you are looking for...Check us out online -Blue Island Divers. We can do any training here in the warm water and there is lots of stuff to do topside as well. No walls in ST T...

Your comment about the shore dives is generally correct unless you are using the Dive Bus in Curacao. They do all shore diving led by a instructor/divemaster. Mark and Suzy are great. I have dived with them on two trips and was trying to schedule a trip in May but settled on the Caymans. Two times, I brought my daughter and her friend. They snorkeled while I dove. American has flights out of DCA through Miami.

Check out these accommodations. One is a penthouse for rent near the Marriott in Piscadera Bay. You have privileges at the Marriott. The Dive Bus will pick you up.

Piscadera Bay vacation rental by owner: 4 bedroom Penthouse rental that sleeps 10. Luxury Oceanfront P H with Access to Marriott Beach Resort

Piscadera Bay vacation rental by owner: 3 bedroom Bungalow rental that sleeps 5. Cozy Bungalow with Access to Marriott Beach Resort

If you do go to Curacao, and use the Dive Bus. Tell Suzy and Mark that Dave, Lauren and Lauren say hi!

We are a diving family, two Jr OW certified (14 yrs old), and us, the parents. All pretty new to diving. We are looking for a great diving location for spring break. We had considered Cozumel for Christmas break, but that fell through, as much because so many of the dives there are deeper. I would like the kids to mature some, and all of us to get more experience before we do any deep dives. We were in Belize this summer, and loved, loved it.

So, my wishlist for a trip for us includes the following: good, shallow dives (at or less than 40', the limit for Jr OW), and easy to get to from the east coast (IAD is our preferred airport). Belize was great - what else is there? Prefer little to no shore diving, since we are more comfortable with a DM to show us around.
Here's another plug for Cocoview on Roatan. Hassle free with attentive and safety conscious staff, comfortable boats, and some of the most convenient diving you can find. Several of the dive sites are equally as beautiful and fascinating at 40' as they are at 70' to 80'. And, don't dismiss the shore diving too quickly. Access to the Cocoview wall and Newman wall is relatively easy and the shallow areas near the top of Newman wall can be spectacular with a good chance to see squid and barracuda during the swim in and out.

Back
Top Bottom