Going to Bali in 2 weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchpickle

Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of people say that Bali is a crap place to dive but I really enjoy it there. I stay in Padang Bai and dive with water worx. I plan to try out some of the other dive shops too just to see how they do things.

Tepekong, Gili Biaha, Mimping, and Nusa Penida have some really nice dives. Tepekong can have some really stiff current when the tide is running. There is one dive there they call the toilet. It is quite a ride and is not always divable.

One day just diving in the harbor in Padang Bai we saw a few sharks, turtles, and a monster gorgonian fan. Then a school of fusiliers came in by the millions. They swam above, below and around us for about 15 minutes. Just surrounded by fish zipping past. It was pretty cool. Another neat curiosity they have there is the Spanish Dancer, a big red nudibranch that moves like a flamenco dancer.

Agree with you there pickle. Bali is a huge island, and there are some great dive sites. But the same applies to Bali as to other big tourist destinations - get off the main tourist beaches. You are not going to get great diving from Kuta!

Where are the best dive sites in Bali?

Bali Dive Sites

Batfish:
Agree with you there pickle. Bali is a huge island, and there are some great dive sites. But the same applies to Bali as to other big tourist destinations - get off the main tourist beaches. You are not going to get great diving from Kuta!

Where are the best dive sites in Bali?

Bali Dive Sites

I love the diving around Tulamben. The Liberty wreck is in shallow water and so is totally covered in colorful life. There is wall diving and muck diving at nearby sites. For diving from Sanur (to go to N. Penida and others) I like Abyss Adventures for a dive op.

Bali is huge with a lot to offer. Underated and under appreciated dive destination.

Tulamben is a good choice for max dives since most are shore dives. But do not go when the big waves roll in! Getting a pounding on the rocky beach is no fun when lugging camera gear.

Because Bali is huge there are other lesser known but great sites. Seraya near Tulamben is one of them.

Pemuteran side is also quite good.

But for big fish you have to dive around Cenigan, Penida and Lembongan.

dutchpickle:
A lot of people say that Bali is a crap place to dive but I really enjoy it there. I stay in Padang Bai and dive with water worx. I plan to try out some of the other dive shops too just to see how they do things.
LOL, I thought of the same thing too before, but Menjangan changed my mind. I also just met a Swedish-English couple in Sipadan who said they were informed that Bali's diving is subpar, and I was trying like hell to convince them to at least try Menjangan and Nusa Penida.

Pinklizard, I have never seen so many different nudibranchs! Did you get any of Liberty wreck? I am going there in October, cannot wait.

Hi Catherine
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but here are a couple of pics taken on the Liberty recently.

Liberty%20Hold%20.jpg

Soft%20Corals%20-%20Liberty.jpg

Very nice rib components! I am so excited to dive it....

How about action? So far it seems like beautiful corals, macros...I mean large perlargics or schools that comes in tohousands???

AM itching to go...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom