Glucosamine Supplement/ joint health

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am trying to decide about glucosamine. If it were less expensive and easier to take I would take it hands down But, it is a huge pill and a yucky drink. Still, my veternarian back in Cali sold me on the science. He claims they tagged it and followed it into the synovial fluid in 24 hours. Cosequine was the trade name.
Anybody have any experience or science about glucosamine?

I drink "Joint Juice" (contains 1500 mg of glucosamine per can), every morning for a bad knee. I've been doing this for a bit over a month and it does seem to help. Plus, it tastes much like a tropical fruit drink (carbonated), so it's not so hard to consume.

I just finished a can. I think it is yuck. I was hoping Tsandm would have an opinion...horse are on it a lot. I take fish oil and coQ10 everyday for about ten years.

catherine96821:
I just finished a can. I think it is yuck. I was hoping Tsandm would have an opinion...horse are on it a lot. I take fish oil and coQ10 everyday for about ten years.

Why don't you try adding a little rum to it, put it over ice? If you still don't like the taste, just add rum until you do. Works for me!:D

catherine96821:

Catherine,

You might want to take a look at this company's website. I haven't used their people products but used their dog joint supplement for our arthritic Black Lab for years with good results.

http://springtimeinc.com/ShowView/index

Joint Health Capsules™

http://springtimeinc.com/ShowView/product/47/3

Rickg

catherine96821:
Anybody have any experience or science about glucosamine?
By 1990 my (oft injured) right shoulder had gotten so bad I couldn't lift the arm past my chest, had to use the left hand to lift it onto the steering wheel. I didn't want to go under the knife and tried glucosamine. After about six weeks the shoulder was noticeably better, after about three months the pain was almost completely gone and I had recovered almost full range of motion. I do a six week glucosamine course about twice a year now and the shoulder remains pain free and with good range of motion. I don't know if the glucosamine is the thing that "cured" my shoulder or if it would have resolved on its own, but it had been getting steadily worse for about 15 years before I started the regimen, and it got steadily better from that point on, so...
The stuff does taste nasty.
Rick

Rick! I am glad you posted that...I found the six week thing true as well...wasn't sure if it was the Glucosamine or something else. I was in a heli crash and had multiple spinal fractures, never had any probs until ten years later hauling babies around. now, it is my shoulder that hurts...so I have restarted it. my x said "oh rubbish it gets broken down in your stomach by the HCL acid. But, the vet says they tagged it with an isotope and saw that it makes it into the joint space. (in horses) thanks for the feedback...6 weeks seemed like when I started to feel "lubed". I started feeling my vertebrae moving a bit more.

whew you missed a wild time in here today.

I took glucosamine on a regular basis a few years back for a bad knee. At the time I thought it was helping. Then I got involved in something, ran out, and didn't have time to restock. I went without it for a couple of weeks and noticed that the pain in my knee was subsiding OFF the glucosamine. I ended up buying some more and experimenting with it and definitely had less pain and problems without the glucosamine. Maybe the 6 week thing is okay, but I wouldn't take it longer than that. In fact, I won't take it at all now. Just a few days on it makes my knee feel worse. It may have a different effect on shoulders, though. Who knows? It's not regulated that strictly so I don't think enough research has been done on it to really know.

Thanks for sharing this info, I'm also now going to stick with six week stints of the stuff and see how it goes.

I've been taking The Vitamin Shoppe brand Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for 6or so years now and it definetly has a positive effect on my arthritis in my right leg. Studies claim that if you take a double dosage for the first 4 - 6 weeks and then go to a regular dossage About 1500 mg each for maintenance you will experience less pain. I take it on a less dosage then that and I am using my NSAID a lot less then before.
Joe B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom