Glucosamine Supplement/ joint health

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some chondroitin comes from shark fins, as in this ad:

http://www.haba.com/products/fukatubu.html

It can also come from cattle cartilage, which probably doesn't have high concentrations of the prions that cause mad cow disease. The Mayo Clinic says that it is not clear that chondroitin confers additional benefits beyond what glucosamine alone offers, so I just take the glucosamine sulfate and hopefully save a shark or two.

In terms of veterinary orthopedics, some people believe that it works and some believe that it doesn't. I am of the belief that it does. Whether or not it works, I do know that it doesn't hurt the animal. So take it! By the way there are capsule (pill) forms you can take which are probably much easier to take.

vladimir:
It can also come from cattle cartilage, which probably doesn't have high concentrations of the prions that cause mad cow disease.
Oh brother, now there's a "true statement" that's misleading in the extreme. Not only does the chondroitin in glucosamine & chondroitin supplements "probably" not contain CJD BSE variant prions, it just simply never has been shown to have any CJD prions at all, and there's no reason to suspect that it would.
Much ado about nothing.
Rick

Just my experience.

Several years ago, after running 5-6 days a week for about 25 years my knees just wouldn't take it any more. So, I did some research; found some studies that seemed to show Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements were effective, and started taking the supplement.

Results? In about 3 months I was able to do most things that didn't involve heavy impact. Things like hiking, snowshoeing, biking, hauling hose, etc. In about a year I was able to do everything except extended running. Now I am able to run without any joint discomfort at all. It is the rest of my body that grumbles.

The only caution is to be sure you get a reliable brand. This is classified as a food, not a drug. So, there is no independent testing for safety or efficacy. Shop carefully.

Oh yes, take it in tablet form. That liquid stuff is echhhh!

Don't worry about cost. Your health is your most important possession.

reliable brand, shop carefully. How do I do that? does the chondroitin have to be injested in conjunction, I wonder.

I will look for the caps..the pills make me gag. I started dumping pomegrante juice into the Joint juice (Costco) and some pelligrino. I have old heli crash injuries (20's)that have never caused any problems, just starting to make me stiff. I do hear fish oil or other sources of omega-3's (flax) help and I have been on a good dose for ten years now. I use the Zone brand which is purified to avoid heavy metals.

Rick Murchison:
Oh brother, now there's a "true statement" that's misleading in the extreme. Not only does the chondroitin in glucosamine & chondroitin supplements "probably" not contain CJD BSE variant prions, it just simply never has been shown to have any CJD prions at all, and there's no reason to suspect that it would.
Much ado about nothing.
Rick
That was a joke--or an attempt at one anyway. Nobody gets my jokes online; in real life people actually find them amusing.

I'll laugh...there. better? me too. you gotta master those stupid smileys, I guess. :D

Thank Catherine, that's much better.:D I resisted the cheesy smilies for a long time but I guess they do serve a purpose.

vladimir:
Thank Catherine, that's much better.:D I resisted the cheesy smilies for a long time but I guess they do serve a purpose.
indeed they do... :)
Rick

I use the stuff & can tell a noticable difference in my left knee. There is a loading period, about a month. it takes a while, doesn't work like an aspirine does.

What i found when i looked into it is that there are 2 types. Glucosamine sulfate & glucosamine HCL. Articles I read referenced clinical studies that showed improvement with the sulfate version, but no such studies for the HCL. I used the sulfate & never tried the other.

I usually buy it at GNC as a glucosamine sulfate/chondroitin mix & take 1500/1200 milligram dose per day. When I run out, the effects wear off slowly, over a few months.

I find it easier to take those big honkers with milk than with water or coffee.

Back
Top Bottom