Glove solution for dry suit with no dry glove seals (rings)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enreeks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi cold water diving experts!!
I am gradually being more and more affected by ingressing cold water in my wet gloves when wearing my trilaminate, which only has wrists seals. The straightforward solution would be to purchase a dry suit with dry glove rings, but it doesn´t make the economics for about 10 cold water dives/year...so my question is:
Do you know of any gloves that could seal on the wrists on top of the latex seals of the dry suit? sounds a bit naive, but wonder if there are independent dry or semidry gloves (not part of a drysuit) that can significantly reduce water ingress when wearing a dry suit with no dry glove seals (I wear a Scubapro EverTec...latex wrist/neck seals). I supppose wearing wet glove liners would help in any case....any suggestions?
Also, do you have any suggestions for a good hood I could wear with the Scubapro EverTec?
Thank you so much for any feedback!!
Cheers.

I’m pretty sure you can temporarily add/remove rings and dry gloves like the Kubrick system without any permanent modification. KUBIstore.com - Dry Glove Systems - Standard Range - Complete Systems

I am aware of these temporary gloves, like I think you are asking about, that seal themselves. I don’t know anyone that has them. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/dive-wear/gloves/easy-don-dry-dive-glove

Most divers I know wear a Waterproof branded H1 hood. Either a 5/7 or 5/10. I wear the 5/10 and it’s great. I hear good things about the Bare 7mm ultra warmth hood as well.

Hi cold water diving experts!!
I am gradually being more and more affected by ingressing cold water in my wet gloves when wearing my trilaminate, which only has wrists seals. The straightforward solution would be to purchase a dry suit with dry glove rings, but it doesn´t make the economics for about 10 cold water dives/year...so my question is:
... answered below ...
Do you know of any gloves that could seal on the wrists on top of the latex seals of the dry suit?
Of course.

Get a pair of drygloves, e.g. Nordic Blue, and glue latex seals on them - or get them ready made.

I have been using this system for more than 10 years.

One has to be carefull to avoid wrinkles or the seal will leak (into the glove). The trick is to pull the gloves latex seal too far up (on your arm) and then gently pull the glove outwards until the seal settles nicely. Then you finally push the glove back and the latex seal will be folded in a Z-shape at your wrist.

The first glove is easy to don (bare fingers do help in removing wrinkles and securing the seal), but for the second one you will probably need a buddy (to keep the seal wide open once you push the hand in). Another method to don the second glove is to fold its latex seal down (180 degrees). It's easier to push your hand into the glove then. After this you need to pull the seal back, which can be made with one finger... but a buddys help would be appreciated still.

One possible online shop:
NORDIC BLUE DRY GLOVES WITH LATEX CONICAL WRIST SEAL WITH INNER LINER

Or perhaps you prefer a Finnish shop (my favorite local shop) with more options:
Dry gloves | Varuste.net English
Specifically:
BtS Nordic Blue Dry Gloves with collar and under gloves (my favorite)
Dry Gloves with wrist seal (used to have these, but they become sticky as chewing gum with time - maybe it's the sun?)
Both are OK. A matter of taste.
Then there's that model with a bottle neck seal. I have not used those. Whatever makes you happy...

Dry gloves tend to be a bit clumsy - just look at how thick the fingers are - because you will need thick warm undergloves or liners at least. Make sure your bolt snaps, if any, are BIG. But I can assure you that ANYTHING is better than wet smooth latex mitts. I have tried. They are slippery as hell.

If you have a 3d printer you might consider these:

DRY GLOVE SYSTEM for diving drysuit by ropod7

I have been using these for a couple of months now and they work and you can't beat the price. O-rings are about $10 on Amazon, plus the cost of gloves.
I use Showa 495, the cost is about $15 at the local commercial fishing supply store.
I have had 2 leaks, both caused by holes in the gloves I was using.

I had originally planned on buying Rolock 90 (Rolock 3 are too small for my hands) but these work so well I think I will keep on using these.

Very easy. Get Viking rings. They can be installed in any dry suit, either permanently (glue the rings to the sleeves), or just put them on non-permanently (they just fit over the sleeves, trapping the material between two rings).

I definitely recommend getting them glued in. That means that if you tear a wrist seal, you can just pop a new one in in a few minutes.

Then you pull those "dishwasher" style gloves over the rings ($13). Have been using this system for years - I almost always dive wet, but it's nice to have the option. MUCH simpler than any locking ring system, very reliable.

Here's what you need:

Viking Cuff Ring Set | Dive Rescue International

Super Grip Black Dry Glove

And of course, some sort of glove liner. These are awesome.

G1 Glove Liner - Fourth Element

Most manufacturers' dryglove systems work with glued-in wrist seals. The instructions will explain the setup.

Just as an example, here's the relevant page from the Si-Tech Quick Glove documentation. See the top image about the "Quick Clamp" option:

2022-03-06 21.50.40.jpg

I know that the Kubi system works with glued-in seals (my dive buddy uses Kubi this way), and the documentation for the Si-Tech Ultima system (I use Ultima with glued-in rings) says that it'll work with glued-in seals.

You can also get independent gloves. For example, the ScubaPro EasyDry glove system is just a pair of gauntlets with a wrist seal. Here's how they work:
  1. Put on your drysuit.
  2. Stick an air channel device (a piece of yarn, a coffee-stirrer straw, a cut-in-half McDonald's straw) under your drysuit's wrist seals.
  3. Don the liner mittens and gloves.
  4. Layer the glove seals flat atop your drysuit's wrist seals.
Boom, done.

I'm selling an XL pair of these on Facebook, BTW... (Bei Facebook anmelden)

2021-11-15 12.43.50.jpg

I’m pretty sure you can temporarily add/remove rings and dry gloves like the Kubrick system without any permanent modification. KUBIstore.com - Dry Glove Systems - Standard Range - Complete Systems

I am aware of these temporary gloves, like I think you are asking about, that seal themselves. I don’t know anyone that has them. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/dive-wear/gloves/easy-don-dry-dive-glove

Most divers I know wear a Waterproof branded H1 hood. Either a 5/7 or 5/10. I wear the 5/10 and it’s great. I hear good things about the Bare 7mm ultra warmth hood as well.
Thank you so much for your feedback

Thank you so much for your feedback explore DMC...I´ll consider this input into my solution research....Best regards.

... answered below ...

Of course.

Get a pair of drygloves, e.g. Nordic Blue, and glue latex seals on them - or get them ready made.

I have been using this system for more than 10 years.

One has to be carefull to avoid wrinkles or the seal will leak (into the glove). The trick is to pull the gloves latex seal too far up (on your arm) and then gently pull the glove outwards until the seal settles nicely. Then you finally push the glove back and the latex seal will be folded in a Z-shape at your wrist.

The first glove is easy to don (bare fingers do help in removing wrinkles and securing the seal), but for the second one you will probably need a buddy (to keep the seal wide open once you push the hand in). Another method to don the second glove is to fold its latex seal down (180 degrees). It's easier to push your hand into the glove then. After this you need to pull the seal back, which can be made with one finger... but a buddys help would be appreciated still.

One possible online shop:
NORDIC BLUE DRY GLOVES WITH LATEX CONICAL WRIST SEAL WITH INNER LINER

Or perhaps you prefer a Finnish shop (my favorite local shop) with more options:
Dry gloves | Varuste.net English
Specifically:
BtS Nordic Blue Dry Gloves with collar and under gloves (my favorite)
Dry Gloves with wrist seal (used to have these, but they become sticky as chewing gum with time - maybe it's the sun?)
Both are OK. A matter of taste.
Then there's that model with a bottle neck seal. I have not used those. Whatever makes you happy...

Dry gloves tend to be a bit clumsy - just look at how thick the fingers are - because you will need thick warm undergloves or liners at least. Make sure your bolt snaps, if any, are BIG. But I can assure you that ANYTHING is better than wet smooth latex mitts. I have tried. They are slippery as hell.
Thank you so much for your feedback Subcooled...I´ll consider this input into my solution research....Best regards.

I use these ones.

Work like a charm, and with some practice I can actually manage to don them myself, but if someone is near that can help with donning the second glove it helps a lot.
Thank you so much for your feedback drakcheslav...I´ll consider this input into my solution research. I´m currently looking into the Rolock 90 system, in case you have any experience with them....Best regards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom