Gilboa Again!!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a significant difference going from 45 deg F to 41 Deg F. And 38 or 39 degrees are a different world.

If you haven't actually dove this cold, 1 or 2 degrees at this level feel like night and day. I only mention this because there are so many on this board with no real cold water experience.

The equipment can make a HUGE difference at these temps. It's obvious from the last couple of weeks that this may have precipitated some of the issues we have seen.

That does not in any way absolve those who do not have the proper training to handle these issues. A freeflow should NOT result in a death. Period.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Divers are trained to dive under supervission in the tropics and then they go or are taken to 100 ft in 40 deg water.

Now Mike, normally I read your posts with great humility and interest. But I do have to call you on this statement.

Other than my Intro to Scuba course that I took that first sparked my interest in scuba, I was never taught, nor did I ever expect to always have "supervison" on a dive. And no one I know or have ever dove with expects to have "supervision" on a dive.

Aside from that generalization, I do agree that anyone who figures that the same equipment and dive methods work eqaully well everywhere are at best damn uncomfortable during their dive and at worst candidates for culling the gene pool.

Marc

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Mike,

Doria trip a few years back? Cincy Dive Center?

ERic

That's the one.

FLL Diver once bubbled...

Other than my Intro to Scuba course that I took that first sparked my interest in scuba, I was never taught, nor did I ever expect to always have "supervison" on a dive. And no one I know or have ever dove with expects to have "supervision" on a dive.
Marc

I've only ever met 1 diver who wanted supervision on a dive. And by the end of the cruise the crew was pretty tired of her.

Mike,

I guess they have the hole named after him for two reasons? :)
Eric

How much time do you have?

I've never had a free flow while deep. I did have one at around 40' that I fixed via the "whack-it" technique.

I did have the DIN O-Ring blow at about 110' whilst separated from group. I made a regular ascent and got to the surface with a lot of air.

Anyway, how much time would you have? I am not really familiar with smallish tanks and have no experience with water at less than 56 degrees.

Peter

That depends on what you started with!

In any case, if you are practicing good buddy skills, you've got all the appropriate time to ascend carefully with all of the stops needed. You just use his/her reg.

pdoege once bubbled...
How much time do you have?

I've never had a free flow while deep. I did have one at around 40' that I fixed via the "whack-it" technique.

I did have the DIN O-Ring blow at about 110' whilst separated from group. I made a regular ascent and got to the surface with a lot of air.

Anyway, how much time would you have? I am not really familiar with smallish tanks and have no experience with water at less than 56 degrees.

Peter

FLL Diver once bubbled...

Now Mike, normally I read your posts with great humility and interest. But I do have to call you on this statement.

Aside from that generalization, I do agree that anyone who figures that the same equipment and dive methods work eqaully well everywhere are at best damn uncomfortable during their dive and at worst candidates for culling the gene pool.

Marc

What kind of gas management were you tought in your recreational classes?

What were the performance requirements related to demonstrating buddy diving skills and situational awareness?

On your last OW training dive did you follow the instructor/DM or did they follow you? Who did the planning for the dive?

I could go on. Certainly some instructors teach diving and some students are lucky enough to find them but I don't think it's the norm.

IMO, if most divers weren't diving preplanned and canned resort dives we would have a real mess.

O-ring once bubbled...

So it sounds like an equipment (quality/maintenance) issue then? That is no colder than our quarry and I never hear about freeflow incidents down there...we logged 41 degrees at 90' in Millbrook on Saturday..

I had a buddy who encountered a free flow in Millbrook in May. I offered my octopus, he choose his instead, did a safe ascent and got it to stop of the surface. We went down again, although shallower and warmer, and finished a pleasant dive. I've also encountered free flows in chilly quarries. They should not be near life-threatening events.

Mike is right. It's a matter of training and comfort in the water. It's not the quarries fault any more than it is the planet's for making the water cold.

Back
Top Bottom