Review Getting into boating for scuba can be cheaper than you think, $5000, no need for a trailer, slip or storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The search continues for a more efficient storage/transport of the boat. However, storage costs, does not matter what shape, size, or location it takes. So far I have a solution. Not the most efficient, I'll grant you that, yet it works.

The inflatable boat does not need any maintenance. Wash it well once in a while, spray salt water off after use, apply UV protector at some interval.. Not much to do. The motor is not too difficult. Change oils, check for obvious wear, can be done at home. Maybe once in a while give it to the dealer to do a more in depth check. Suzuki has a 5 year warranty.

The search continues for a more efficient storage/transport of the boat. However, storage costs, does not matter what shape, size, or location it takes. So far I have a solution. Not the most efficient, I'll grant you that, yet it works.

The inflatable boat does not need any maintenance. Wash it well once in a while, spray salt water off after use, apply UV protector at some interval.. Not much to do. The motor is not too difficult. Change oils, check for obvious wear, can be done at home. Maybe once in a while give it to the dealer to do a more in depth check. Suzuki has a 5 year warranty.

How long does it take to inflate? *Oops, missed the 1 hour assembly post.

How long does it take to inflate? *Oops, missed the 1 hour assembly post.

Inflation comes in 2 stages. First you inflate 50%, so the boat would take some initial shape, helps to put the floor boards in. Then you complete the inflation. Probably under 15mins just inflation by itself with a proper electrical pump. Most boat needs just 3psi, the keel needs a bit over 4psi.

The whole hour is inclusive of unloading the car, putting items together, inflating, etc.

I recommend these 2 channels that explain a lot of things:

I enjoyed several years with an Achiilles 12.5' inflatable and Suzuki 25HP outboard. With two divers, full gear, and four tanks it would zip right along. I made a few trips to Catalina Island, 50 miles round trip for about 4-5 gallons of gas. I tried three divers but the boat didn't like that. We experimented with tank racks but found it to be more stable with the four tanks laying inside the bow with gear bags and cooler on top of the tanks.

Here in Florida, renting boats to tourists (who don't know anything about boating) is big business. Reputable operators provide and require at least a brief one hour class cram session. Not all are reputable.

I'm neither captain nor tourist, but I've rented a few times. Even with the little cram session, some of the details can be confusing - especially when it comes to following signs near shore.
You aren’t kidding. I’ve rented boats on occasion. I’m not a captain, but am a boat owner, and have many years experience operating boats. I’m real glad the rental boats are clearly marked, as the cram session is not sufficient, and many times I see them way overloaded. I can easily identify them from the rental company name and phone number, so I usually keep an eye out.
I found that the USCG has a list of sites offering training (many are free). Real good idea if you're buying a boat and taking it into the ocean. Boating Safety Courses
Excellent advise. Prior to buying a boat, I took the US Power Squadron course, but USCG Auxiliary does similar course. Boat US even has a free course that meets FL boater education requirements.

I wonder what’s going to happen to the boat rental market a few years down the road. FL requires a boater education course meeting standards for all boat operators born after 1988. So I would imagine that renting to younger boaters may not entirely be legal. Probably OK to rent, but definitely not legal for them to operate the boat without completion of an approved course. I do not believe the cram session will qualify.

I don't want to hijack this thread but what about sea kayaks?

So, living in Fort Lauderdale I was looking to get into boating to augment my scuba hobby. Boating is fun, plus, if you add scuba into the equation, it becomes a wholesome package.

My complications is living in a condo, not a house. Dry docking is very, very expensive. While maybe I can afford a good boat itself, storage or slip prices are outside of my reach.

Plus, nowadays concern - fuel prices.

So, I found a solution I am willing to share with other avid divers living in FL.

Did a ton of research and my solution is to go for an inflatable with an outboard motor. The general idea is it all fits inside of an SUV. Perfect for those living in condos.

The boat itself is a Chinese copy of the French made Zodiac ($1700). I found one that professes the thickest PVC. Paired with a light but powerful 20HP outboard, 4 stroke with a computer electronic fuel injection ($3000), and it does not need a battery to start or run. To add the bimini roof was like $180. Launch wheels $160. So, $5K altogether. Surely, you can go crazy with accessories on top of this price.

Once inflated and assembled at the site, you would pick it up by one side of the boat and roll the other, one that is the heaviest with the motor. No need for a trailer to launch it. One in the water floating, just raise the wheels.

Gasoline wise, it almost doesn't eat any. I was 6 hours on the water, it went though like less than 2 gallons, no more, I never turned it off, average speed of 5mph.

-------------------------------------------------

Pics:

(Looks like imgur integration on this site is broken, had to create a short url so scubaboards would not butcher the link)

Videos:

For S. Florida, this is a bad idea. Think about a boat storage lot or the cattle boats ... or make friends with someone with a boat. Any one of those the 3 options are better

For S. Florida, this is a bad idea. Think about a boat storage lot or the cattle boats ... or make friends with someone with a boat. Any one of those the 3 options are better

Honest question...why?

Curious too, but I'm going to guess - Current.

Are we taking bets? Do I hear a "you'll get run over", or maybe a "you'll get lost at sea".

I don't know, if I lived in FL and was trying to boat on a budget this is perfect. Obviously have to wait for good / near perfect weather.. but still. (this is coming from someone who's never owned a boat)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom