Current options for moderate duty scuba compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little more info on the Mantus compressor -
Second stage rings should be changed after 200 hours
The filter cartridge looks like a Bauer P0 filter. It is said to last 20 hours
I got a chance to take a look at one of these in person. The thing would run off of a 2kw briefcase generator if you drained the stack before starting it. The HP stage output temp maxed out at 130f after 10 minutes of running. It has 2 cylinders that look to be the same diameter. I do not know if the second is coaxial or not. LP steel tanks that had been filled to 1800 psi previously registered 2ppm on CO. The one 3,000psi tank that we filled registered "high" which is what my palm meter reads when the number gets above 25. It is possible that we may have sucked in exhaust from the generator. The PM valve is said to only hold at 500 psi. This one held at about 2kpsi, as would be normal, but the valve leaked down after the compressor was shut off. An ambient temp of 86f is said to be the max that you can run for extended periods of time without changing the cooling water in the tank. The whole thing is small enough for me to pick up by myself & move around. the ergonomics of the handle placement is good.

I hope to have more info in a few days.

I don't know how well that would fit the definition of " moderate " duty. It appears to barely fit the word " light " duty.

The second sage looks to be coaxial, based on this video. That means that it looks like a 2 stage unit because it has 2 heads visible, but it's actually 3 stage. I'm curious how the third stage gets lubrication.

When the Mantis was run upwind of the generator, the CO ended up reading 3-4PPM when checked at the tank. That was from filling a little 24cf tank to 3,000psi from 0. The little radiator they put on the end of the electric motor is undersized for an 80F ambient temperature. We had to drain about half of the cooling water & refill it with cool water when the 24cf scuba tank was at about 2,000psi. That's when the cooling water temperature hit 70C.

It's small. It weighs little. It's easy for 1 person to move it around. It runs on a 15 amp 110vac circuit. It's slow, but it does reach 3,000psi. The filter cartridges appear to be the same as the ones that fit in a Bauer P0 stack. The MM-249 cartridges from Mantis are made by Lawrence Factor. They appear to have only MS & AC in them. I did not see a third material. CO scrubber does not seem to be present. I do not know if a different cartridge is also available from Mantis. The seal on the top of the cartridge chamber is not a captive O-ring. it is a rubber gasket with a metal ring around the outside. The stack cap needs to be tight so that it doesn't blow out.

It might be interesting to install one of these deep down inside a boat & run the cooling lines to a larger radiator that is outside with a fan, or else run it to a raw water heat exchanger. For a small boat install, that might open some interesting possibilities.

Hello if you need assistance with compressors I can help!
Do you have a particular small scuba compressor to suggest that is reliable & durable?

any comment about them
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/TUXING-Compressor-Auto-Stop-Breathing-Snorkeling/dp/B0B17FS3BT/ref=sr_1_64?crid=1PBQX7QESFJHO&keywords=tuxing+compressor&qid=1655597475&sprefix=tuxing+compressor%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-64

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/TUXING-Compressor-Separator-Firefighting-TXEDM043/dp/B09FSGTCJP/ref=sr_1_69?crid=1PBQX7QESFJHO&keywords=tuxing+compressor&qid=1655597554&sprefix=tuxing+compressor%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-69

Back
Top Bottom