Some Boat Questions:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scraps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at buying a boat for the Florida Gulf Coast.

My name should come up on the waiting list for a slip at my condo sometime in the next few months--hopefully coinciding with a massive crash in prices for quality used boats. When it does, I'll have 90 days to acquire a boat and qualify for the $100 per month slip license fee, including electricity and water. (I'll have to install my own lift at my expense.) So I need to be doing homework now.

My priority is diving. My wife's priority is socializing and maybe a little weekend cruising. So it needs a cabin and room for non-divers to sit around.

My first constraint is size:

The condo association has a length limit of 26 feet, but they'll waive it up to 28 if the boat on its lift doesn't impede people walking along the pier. If I get a 28-foot boat with twin outboards, I may need to back it in to comply.

The lift rails would have to rest on top of pairs of pilings whose inside edges are 11' 3" apart. That means a boat with a 9' 6" beam would have 9" of clearance on each side at its widest point.

My second constraint is seakeeping ability:

At present I have access, through friends and through a boat club to generic lightweight center console monohulls in the 22- to 24-foot range. Most of our decent dive sites are at least 10 miles offshore, and I'm tired of getting pounded and soaked whenever a calm day picks up a bit and we have to plow home through even 2-foot seas. I want something I can take 15-25 miles offshore and not be concerned if the weather turns a little snotty on the way home. Comfort is also important for the young bride: it's gotta be fun for her or it won't work.

I was looking at WorldCat's, particularly the 27-foot express cabin models (both Glacier Bay and WorldCat), but we decided the cabin is too cramped and the whole layout is too fishing-centric, so I've moved on.

So now I'm thinking hard about a Boston Whaler 285 Conquest (9' 6" beam--theoretically could fit in the condo slip) or a 315 Conquest (10' 8" beam--no way it can fit in the condo slip). Other than price and width, the biggest drawback to these models seems to be the swim ladder--but if I get the boat, I'll figure that out.

If the 285 Conquest will fit in the slip and give a stable enough ride, the sweetheart slip rental would make it ideal. But I don't want to get an unsuitable boat just because it fits in the slip.

I was surprised by how much the price difference between such differently sized boats goes down as they get a few years on them. So if the 285 either won't fit practically into the slip or give me the ride I want, I might look at a 315 (though the added fuel consumption and high-and-dry fees would disrupt the whole can-I-swing-this spreadsheet).

Any insights on this decision? Experience with any of the boats under consideration? Wisdom on the max beam or seaworthiness questions?

Thanks,

Hi Scraps

Tough ask there. Not really any fast boats in the 26' range that will handle 2'-3' seas in comfort. Generally you want heavier boats with narrow beam.

Might want to look at semi-displacement trawler-like designs like the Ranger R-23 which will have better seakeeping ability and more creature comforts than what you're looking at. You could also look at something like the MacGregor 26' water-ballasted sailboats, which have semi-displacement hulls and can be driven at planing speeds by the large outboards they usually have.

True displacement hulls will laugh off 2-3' seas at 26' length but have a top speed around 6 knots. Something to consider if you're willing to go slow.

Look at a center console in the 25-28 foot range. twin 200's - 300's will provide plenty of push. An Armstrong bracket with a either a swing ladder or telescoping ladder will work well for your diving needs. Contenders and Bluewater's when purchased new can be custom outfitted and those boats in the 28' range will give you a fine ride in marginal seas. If the spray bothers you, Eisenglass with keep you dry. Cuddy cabins are a waste of space in Fl. Trawlers are for cruising the ICW. Good Luck.

Look at a center console in the 25-28 foot range. twin 200's - 300's will provide plenty of push. An Armstrong bracket with a either a swing ladder or telescoping ladder will work well for your diving needs. Contenders and Bluewater's when purchased new can be custom outfitted and those boats in the 28' range will give you a fine ride in marginal seas. If the spray bothers you, Eisenglass with keep you dry. Cuddy cabins are a waste of space in Fl. Trawlers are for cruising the ICW. Good Luck.

Yeah, I agree with you on the caddy cabin, but I'm not allowed to buy a dive boat. It's gotta be a family/socializing boat from which I can dive or else the deal won't get done. A cabin with the AC she wants drives up the price and cuts back on space. Life always demands tradeoffs.

Thanks for pointing me to Armstrong brackets and ladders!

.....Florida Gulf Coast.....
... 15-25 miles offshore
....Comfort is also important for the young bride: it's gotta be fun for her or it won't work.

A 26ft mono hull 25 miles out and trying to haul arse back....you already know you're going to get soaked so skip the mono hull unless it's a much longer boat. And I agree diving less than 20 miles out really reduces the quality of the sites.

35mph at 20 miles out is still gonna take you 35 - 45 minutes to get to the inlet in 2-4ft seas. Double that time in a mono hull cause you can't take the pounding.

Also at 20+ miles with 4 divers the fuel burn is going to kill you unless you are diving 3 tanks each. So for tanks, water, gear, ice& body weight you are looking at 2500+ pounds {heavy}. And I agree with @tekkydiver that cuddie's are a waste and end up being a garbage pit of crap you don't use anyways.

If I was given your limits and location (and considering the bride who really wants a floating living room with waterproof cushions) then it's just one boat to look at.

Go drive the ProKat 2660 Center Console

2 engines for backup, cause limp mode if one breaks. Also docking with 2 engines is like 360 spins.
Great fuel burn on a pair of 250's but will still haul butt
The cat design easily cuts thru 4 footers at full speed and no spray unless all the way at the rear.
You won't pound the waves like a mono hull for a 20 mile run each way, slices right thru.
The front bow area is huge with a big bench for cushions and even an umbrella shade for the sandbar
Under & inside the HUGE helm is enough room for a sit-inside bathroom (that will win the bride over)
Very easy and safe rear ladder.
The Prokat will easily take 4 divers and give you Tons of room for tanks and gear.

It's a really sweet boat and my buddy has one. Bit of a pain to trailer, but you don't have that problem with a slip. Plenty of them are for sale, but they do go quickly when up for sale (like right now). Call me if you get one and I'll dive with you !

Pict below is of the huge front bow bench seat area that the bride can buy cushions for.

ProKat2660.jpg

A 26ft mono hull 25 miles out and trying to haul arse back....you already know you're going to get soaked so skip the mono hull unless it's a much longer boat. And I agree diving less than 20 miles out really reduces the quality of the sites.

35mph at 20 miles out is still gonna take you 35 - 45 minutes to get to the inlet in 2-4ft seas. Double that time in a mono hull cause you can't take the pounding.

Also at 20+ miles with 4 divers the fuel burn is going to kill you unless you are diving 3 tanks each. So for tanks, water, gear, ice& body weight you are looking at 2500+ pounds {heavy}. And I agree with @tekkydiver that cuddie's are a waste and end up being a garbage pit of crap you don't use anyways.

If I was given your limits and location (and considering the bride who really wants a floating living room with waterproof cushions) then it's just one boat to look at.

Go drive the ProKat 2660 Center Console

2 engines for backup, cause limp mode if one breaks. Also docking with 2 engines is like 360 spins.
Great fuel burn on a pair of 250's but will still haul butt
The cat design easily cuts thru 4 footers at full speed and no spray unless all the way at the rear.
You won't pound the waves like a mono hull for a 20 mile run each way, slices right thru.
The front bow area is huge with a big bench for cushions and even an umbrella shade for the sandbar
Under & inside the HUGE helm is enough room for a sit-inside bathroom (that will win the bride over)
Very easy and safe rear ladder.
The Prokat will easily take 4 divers and give you Tons of room for tanks and gear.

It's a really sweet boat and my buddy has one. Bit of a pain to trailer, but you don't have that problem with a slip. Plenty of them are for sale, but they do go quickly when up for sale (like right now). Call me if you get one and I'll dive with you !

Pict below is of the huge front bow bench seat area that the bride can buy cushions for.

. View attachment 586299

That does look nice! Not a lot of ProKats listed on my first search. Unfortunately, the first one I found was a 36-footer, so expectations are already unreasonably high.

I’ll call you to go diving whichever boat I end up with. Are you near Pinellas County?

.. Are you near Pinellas County?
I'm near Orlando, but only an hour away from there. I've dove with TJ from 2Shea and several private boats. Since I'm equal distance from both coasts, my regular diving is in Jupiter, but I dive from the pan handle down to the keys for the last 25 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom