Review Getting into boating for scuba can be cheaper than you think, $5000, no need for a trailer, slip or storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, I have a few questions:
  • How heavy are the various components?
  • Do you have any pictures of everything "unassembled", meaning in the back of your SUV or in your condo?
  • How long does it take to "assemble" and "disassemble"?
  • What do you do with the motor when everything is "unassembled"?
I owned an inflatable SUP for awhile. This is on a whole different level!

The motor is like 97lb per manuf spec. It is heavy but I am fit enough to lift it and manipulate for a short while. I have a specialized dolly for outboard motors. I'd roll it on a dolly to my SUV, take it off and put it inside, doesn't take much. I assemble the boat next to my car at the site, maybe I have to transfer it like 6 ft. Heavy but no big deal. I used to lift and carry UV-26 scooter into the water on my shoulder and it was 92lb, felt like an opening scene from the movie Commando. Arnold Schwarzenegger Commando 1985 Intro Scene

The boat consists of floor boards and the transom + pvc main boat part. If you remove the floor boards, the boat by itself is like 100-110lb. But it is softer and bigger than the motor, easier to handle. I dolly the boat from the condo to the car as well. Flooring is easy, together it is heavy but it is 5 separate pieces.

This is a pic of all the boat items inside my car:

Assembly and disassembly takes different times with number of people present. Adding one more person can cut the assembly almost in half. Also, as you start to assemble, you get better at it and time also decreases. I'd say 1 hour by myself without experience. Disassembly is faster, maybe 45mins by myself. Also, I have a **** ton of extra accessories that are beyond a basic setup, so I take longer.

Motor by itself doesn't have any gas in it. After use there is a procedure even to remove any latent gas left in the system before laying down in my car. So, the motor does not stink of gas and is stored within my condo on a dolly: https://tinyurl.com/v76sphdu

The motor I am using: Suzuki 20 HP DF20ASW4 Outboard Motor
Reasons why I am using this particular one:
- No carburetor. Easy starts even after a prolonged storage. More fuel efficient due to computer controlled injection.
- Can flush the salt out of it without a need for it to be running. Just connect a hose to a fitting on the motor and let the water flow through and clean while the engine is off. Most ramps have water connector. (Other engines need to be submerged in a bucket or have earmuffs device while idleing. Not the best for condo living.)
- 20HP and 4 stroke. Low vibration and extra quiet at idle. No need to add oil to gas and smell the result of it.
- Strangely this computer controlled motor does not need a battery to turn on.
- Brand is good. Motors are reliable. Known to be quiet and very fuel efficient.

The motor is like 97lb per manuf spec. It is heavy but I am fit enough to lift it and manipulate for a short while. I have a specialized dolly for outboard motors. I'd roll it on a dolly to my SUV, take it off and put it inside, doesn't take much. I assemble the boat next to my car at the site, maybe I have to transfer it like 6 ft. Heavy but no big deal.

The boat consists of floor boards and the transom + pvc main boat part. If you remove the floor boards, the boat by itself is like 100-110lb. But it is softer and bigger than the motor, easier to handle. I dolly the boat from the condo to the car as well. Flooring is easy, together it is heavy but it is 5 separate pieces.

Assembly and disassembly takes different times with number of people present. Adding one more person can cut the assembly almost in half. Also, as you start to assemble, you get better at it and time also decreases. I'd say 1 hour by myself without experience. Disassembly is faster, maybe 45mins by myself.

Motor by itself doesn't have any gas in it. After use there is a procedure even to remove any latent gas left in the system before transfer. So, the motor does not stink of gas and is stored within my condo on a dolly:

Dang. So not an insignificant amount of work! :wink:

Thanks for sharing all of this! Very intriguing, but not something I'd venture to tackle. Good on you though for ingenuity and work effort!! It may be a good option for condo folks that are less-lazy than I am.

When I watch boating fails,
I can never find the common sense part,,, It seems not that common :wink:
Here in Florida, renting boats to tourists (who don't know anything about boating) is big business. Reputable operators provide and require at least a brief one hour class cram session. Not all are reputable.

I'm neither captain nor tourist, but I've rented a few times. Even with the little cram session, some of the details can be confusing - especially when it comes to following signs near shore.

I found that the USCG has a list of sites offering training (many are free). Real good idea if you're buying a boat and taking it into the ocean. Boating Safety Courses

Very cool. Is it ridged enough on the transom for a ladder? Getting in and out of a inflatable is tricky without gear, let alone with your dive kit.

I bought a ladder from BassPro, it is a very light collapsible ladder made of rope and plastic horizontal bars. You'd drop it from the side.

As a strategy getting in, you'd remove and hang your BCD outside in the water and get in without one. If you don't have a bimini top, your you fold it, if you go to 10ft depth and then fin yourself to the surface in a maximum burst, you can jump high enough to grab to the side, then lean in and roll into the boat. Kind of a ladder-less entry. Did it once, was not easy though.

If others decide to go this route be aware the quality of inflatables from China varies wildly like pretty much everything you can buy from there. We have one as a dingy and so far (after one season) I am impressed but I spent a fair amount of time looking at reviews. Instead of ordering direct bought it from a local importer who puts their own logo on boats they bring in by the container load. They have been around for a few years with enough local people owning that particular brand to give me confidence that it will hold up. Not as long as the South Sea it replaced or an actual Zodiac or Avon but at a MUCH lower price point.

I see that and have to wonder if you can find a place to store a tiny "box" trailer that would fit it - maybe a lo-profile unit that can be rolled uder somewhere - saves loading in and out of the vehicle 1/2 the trips.

I bought a ladder from BassPro, it is a very light collapsible ladder made of rope and plastic horizontal bars. You'd drop it from the side.

As a strategy getting in, you'd remove and hang your BCD outside in the water and get in without one. If you don't have a bimini top, your you fold it, if you go to 10ft depth and then fin yourself to the surface in a maximum burst, you can jump high enough to grab to the side, then lean in and roll into the boat. Kind of a ladder-less entry. Did it once, was not easy though.
or Poseidon style - blow and go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom