Review Getting into boating for scuba can be cheaper than you think, $5000, no need for a trailer, slip or storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, living in Fort Lauderdale I was looking to get into boating to augment my scuba hobby. Boating is fun, plus, if you add scuba into the equation, it becomes a wholesome package.

My complications is living in a condo, not a house. Dry docking is very, very expensive. While maybe I can afford a good boat itself, storage or slip prices are outside of my reach.

Plus, nowadays concern - fuel prices.

So, I found a solution I am willing to share with other avid divers living in FL.

Did a ton of research and my solution is to go for an inflatable with an outboard motor. The general idea is it all fits inside of an SUV. Perfect for those living in condos.

The boat itself is a Chinese copy of the French made Zodiac ($1700). I found one that professes the thickest PVC. Paired with a light but powerful 20HP outboard, 4 stroke with a computer electronic fuel injection ($3000), and it does not need a battery to start or run. To add the bimini roof was like $180. Launch wheels $160. So, $5K altogether. Surely, you can go crazy with accessories on top of this price.

Once inflated and assembled at the site, you would pick it up by one side of the boat and roll the other, one that is the heaviest with the motor. No need for a trailer to launch it. One in the water floating, just raise the wheels.

Gasoline wise, it almost doesn't eat any. I was 6 hours on the water, it went though like less than 2 gallons, no more, I never turned it off, average speed of 5mph.

-------------------------------------------------

Pics:

(Looks like imgur integration on this site is broken, had to create a short url so scubaboards would not butcher the link)

Videos:

The boat itself is a Chinese copy of the French made Zodiac ($1700). I found one that professes the thickest PVC.
Sweet condo boat setup. Gotta link to the boat website?

Out of curiosity, I have a few questions:
  • How heavy are the various components?
  • Do you have any pictures of everything "unassembled", meaning in the back of your SUV or in your condo?
  • How long does it take to "assemble" and "disassemble"?
  • What do you do with the motor when everything is "unassembled"?
I owned an inflatable SUP for awhile. This is on a whole different level!

Very cool. Is it ridged enough on the transom for a ladder? Getting in and out of a inflatable is tricky without gear, let alone with your dive kit.

I'd be very careful about that Chinese manufactured Zodiac. It may uncontrollably stray into territorial waters of other nations, bully the other boats, and start declaring all other boats as its own.

So, living in Fort Lauderdale I was looking to get into boating to augment my scuba hobby. Boating is fun, plus, if you add scuba into the equation, it becomes a wholesome package.

My complications is living in a condo, not a house. Dry docking is very, very expensive. While maybe I can afford a good boat itself, storage or slip prices are outside of my reach.

Plus, nowadays concern - fuel prices.

So, I found a solution I am willing to share with other avid divers living in FL.

Did a ton of research and my solution is to go for an inflatable with an outboard motor. The general idea is it all fits inside of an SUV. Perfect for those living in condos.

The boat itself is a Chinese copy of the French made Zodiac ($1700). I found one that professes the thickest PVC. Paired with a light but powerful 20HP outboard, 4 stroke with a computer electronic fuel injection ($3000), and it does not need a battery to start or run. To add the bimini roof was like $180. Launch wheels $160. So, $5K altogether. Surely, you can go crazy with accessories on top of this price.

Once inflated and assembled at the site, you would pick it up by one side of the boat and roll the other, one that is the heaviest with the motor. No need for a trailer to launch it. One in the water floating, just raise the wheels.

Gasoline wise, it almost doesn't eat any. I was 6 hours on the water, it went though like less than 2 gallons, no more, I never turned it off, average speed of 5mph.

-------------------------------------------------

Pics:

(Looks like imgur integration on this site is broken, had to create a short url so scubaboards would not butcher the link)

Videos:

Congrats! An inflatable was my fitst dive boat and it's a great dive platform. Very stable and tough. They are great for learning about boating. Not much you can mess up if you use common sense. Be careful though, it's a very slippery slope 😀

No need for a ladder. If ypu havent figured it out already: Take off your gear in the water and clip it to a line. Leave your fins on and kick up onto the tube, roll over and sit up. Pull your gear aboard.

If ypu havent figured it out already: Take off your gear in the water and clip it to a line. Leave your fins on and kick up onto the tube, roll over and sit up. Pull your gear aboard.

Make sure you practice that in controlled conditions,
not quite as easy as it sounds when alone and in a stiff current.. but very doable

Looks more than 12ft,
My sailing buddy has a 12ft hard bottom with a 6hp,
My double 72s and my 230lb self only. Could get on plane, barely, if I moved right to the front,
With 20 hp should be no problem,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom