Getting back into it after a long layoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took over 30 years off and simply recertified with PADI with my son, like a previous poster said it was like riding a bike in many respects but a lot has changed so it was a good choice... relatively cheap insurance to make sure I am back up to speed

I did a couple hundred dives between 1970 and 1980 before taking 17 years off. I got recertified with my son when he turned 12. The class was extremely easy for me and was a good start to diving with my son.

Doing the scuba refresher is probably the way to go for you, and will get the two of you off to a good start.

When my 12 year old started diving, both hubby and I took refreshers, but we needed to do more; not really learning about neutral buoyancy was the single biggest problem area for us adults. Basically we floated while our little "seal" could get down more easily. Without us. It is worth buying the book on neutral buoyancy and going through that.
Good Luck!

When my 16 year old wanted to certify, and I hadn't been in the water more than 3 times in 10 years, I decided to just cert from scratch with him. It was a good experience for us both. It was also a great way for us to spend more time together.

Considering that my original cert was from the pre-computer almost pre-BCD dark ages :) it was a good investment in time and money.

Since then, I've been diving more than he has. It was a convenient excuse to start diving again.

I would recommend the refresher with son attending too. Consider yourself lucky If you son is going to become your diving buddy. I think taking the AOW later with your new buddy might be the ticket.

Reactions: tep
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom