Getting back into it after a long layoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Ralph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got my 12 yo son certified so we can dive together in Grand Cayman in Dec. Now he knows more than I do. I haven't logged a dive in over 5 yrs and wondering what's the best way to re-acclimate myself. Should I just read the PADI course material I bought him? Could I jump into an advanced OW cert course or should I just look at taking a refresher OW course at my local shop?

Yes to your final idea. Best tool for what you seek, which is diving together with your young son.

I took about 7 years off from diving at one point. To be honest, I found it a bit like riding a bike when I came back, but then I had been a very active diver in my youth. If you only have 2-3 dozen dives under your belt and you have been away for 5 years, a refresher wouldn't be a bad idea. Not least you don't want to be accidentally trying to screw your regulator on upside down and look silly in front of your son!

On the plus side, Grand Cayman is an extremely benign diving environment - high vis, warm water, zero currents. You couldn't be getting back into it in any safer of an environment.

I agree. Take the refresher class. PADI calls it reactivation, SSI calls it a scuba skills update. Whatever the name or dive agency discuss this with the staff at the dive shop. Be honest about your skills and how you feel. The staff should prepare a program tailored to your needs. Mention that your son just got certified and you will be diving with him. It won't hurt to read through your son's course materials, just make sure you talk with the shop.

Especially diving with a minor child, seems like getting a refresher would be all the more important.

Richard.

Kind of surprised they didn't offer you a refresher while your son was going through his course.
Pay a little extra and do all the pool and checkout dives as his buddy.

I would definitely do the refresher - last thing you want is to realise that your skills are not up to speed when you most need them especially with a child in tow.

A good instructor will look at your knowledge and what you are doing and give advice on what needs brought up to date and honed.

The answer really depends on you and your experience and comfort level. I was in your shoes about 10 years ago. I was a very experienced diver and worked as a safety rescue diver then was out for a longer period of time. My kids got certified in 2009 and I jumped back in (literally). When my kids were in class, the dive shop had a pool that anyone could use with tanks to practice and warm up. A quick go through with my gear and short dive at the pool was all I needed. The two things new to diving for me was the availability of nitrox and dive computers. A quick nitrox cert and purchase of a simple easy to use dive computer and understanding how to use it were next.

Your profile shows you with a lot less dive experience now then I had when I got back in. Diving with a 12 year old you will, should or may be limited by depth restrictions. You should at the very least go through your son's book to refresh on principles and rules and put your equipment together and take a practice dive in a pool or safe easy confined shallows somewhere. Depending upon your comfort and experience level, maybe a refresher or do you first couple dives with a private dive guide.

Best of luck and enjoy. Shore diving may be the best start for you both in GCM and maybe with a private guide/DM on the first couple. There are a number of shore diving places/ops that can easily accommodate this.

I had a 32 yr surface interval and looking back wish I had done some formal review. 160 dives later, I think I can say that I am ok now as I regularly dove with a very experienced crowd and logging 50/yr helped. Still I could tell an embarrassing story or 2 about stuff I did right after starting back. but then 32 years is way longer than your situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom