Get Lost Gustav!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, wind is 10-16 kts - having never gone diving in the keys (specifically thinking about heading to key west for a couple days in between storms) I don't know if that's good or bad!

Wind direction is also important. 15 knots from the NE is marginal conditions IMO for Key Largo while it's quite doable in Key West (because the Keys hook substantially to the west as you go south).

And now we have Ike... and I have to wait til this weekend to dive... I need chocolate

Holy cow . Enough already!!!! Man I just dont believe it. I guess we are in the prime of hurricane season

Friends wanted to visit from the west coast soon. I told them that drinking is available but that it isn't worth hauling gear to get in the garbage the ocean has become lately.

Here's a data point for the next time one passes by the Keys. We were in Largo on Sunday and Monday. Sunday morning, we awoke to find the National Hurricane Center and marine forecasts reporting that Gustav was 211 miles due west of Key West, and--I think--a Category 3 at the time. Marine forecast was saying 4-6 foot swells on the reefs. In Key Largo, there were scattered showers as the outer bands of the storm passed us, but it was often sunny, though breezy/windy. No dive boats went out that morning or in the afternoon. By Monday morning, when Gustav was well on its way to Louisiana, the winds were lighter, and we went diving! It was a bit rough out on the reef, but actually not as bad as predicted. However, the wind picked up in the afternoon, and the boat (well, Quiescence, at least) did not go out. So, at least we got in two dives. There was plenty of drinking to occupy us the rest of the time. I'm glad we were not scared off by the forecasts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom