Get Lost Gustav!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah drinking is what key west offers, more so than quality diving.

I know I know, I had to compromise with the GF. I've been gone the last 3 weekends on dive trips so I had to take her somewhere that she would enjoy. We went to Key Largo last Labor Day and that was too dive-centric for her, so off to Key West we go (and she wonders why she doesn't have a ring yet). I was trying to line up a trip to the Wilkes-Barre but I don't think anyone is running this weekend. So it's shallow reefs and topside entertainment for this weekend.

I think we'll be okay for the weekend.

Yep, looking at the updated track and progress chart, we should be fine. I'm happy we're completely outside the cone of death.

chipribbon3.jpg

This actually updates. As you can see it's moved a bit more north and the cone of confusion includes much of Florida now BUT I'd hate to be New Orleans right about now. If a cat 3 hits them, kiss them good-bye.

at200807_5day.gif

This actually updates. As you can see it's moved a bit more north and the cone of confusion includes much of Florida now BUT I'd hate to be New Orleans right about now. If a cat 3 hits them, kiss them good-bye.

That might be the understatement of the week.

Can I ask someone who has experienced the weather in the Keys during a previous instance when there was a hurricane out in the Gulf how that affected the weather and sea conditions in the Keys? I have to make a decision tomorrow (Friday) whether to cancel my dive trip to
Largo, where my girlfriend and I planned to dive on Sunday and Monday and then chill for a bit in Key West on Monday night/Tuesday. Assuming that the current predictions are correct, and even Key West is out of the cone, then will the sea conditions still be unsuitable for diving off Key Largo? (I'm familiar with diving in Largo but know little about weather and sea conditions!) Will the weather likely be rainy? What about Key West? Yeah, I know--we can still chill out on a barstool, but we won't go if we can't dive in Largo on Sunday. Any reply based on past experience with a hurricane out in the Gulf would be appreciated. Cancel the plane tix?

Here's the Key Largo marine Forecast for the weekend (I included Saturday to show the difference). If the storm slows down you might have an issue but if this is right you may be ok for Sunday / Monday although viz may be a bit down from Saturday's fun:

SATURDAY
EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND
THE REEF 4 TO 7 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 TO 3 FEET. NEARSHORE
WATERS ROUGH. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS DECREASING TO NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS
BEYOND THE REEF SUBSIDING TO 3 TO 5 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF
AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS BECOMING A MODERATE CHOP. SCATTERED
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

MONDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF SUBSIDING
TO 2 TO 3 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 1 FOOT. NEARSHORE WATERS
A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom