General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the smell become obvious?

I've buried a few pets over the years and never smelled anything...

I've buried a few pets over the years and never smelled anything...
For some reason I would imagine it being easier to smell in a cave. The sand sliding around in caves that I've seen is very large grains, unlike what I've seen when I dig. Plus I struggle to imagine someone getting buried that deep.

Has anyone entertained the possibilty of someone injuring/abducting Ben after he exited the cave? Was any cash still in his truck? Did he have enemies? This seems like a more likely scenario thatn faking your own death. He might of left those tanks for staging, then exited to get gear, then run into a topside problem.

Has anyone entertained the possibilty of someone injuring/abducting Ben after he exited the cave? Was any cash still in his truck? Did he have enemies? This seems like a more likely scenario thatn faking your own death. He might of left those tanks for staging, then exited to get gear, then run into a topside problem.

GUE Smoking Police maybe? Maybe the OW SM Police.

The sand moves quickly. Its been well document at Vortex that when the sand slides at the champagne restriction, it does so in a very small amount of time. Several divers have had to dig their way out from there.

If You had an actual "slide" of sand (new material that has not been disturbed before) you would think that it would take some time to have the natural flow remove the fines and clear up the viz. I can see a shift of sand in a restriction depending on flow volume. If he went through a narrow passage and the sand shifted, closing out his ability to return, that would seem more probable. I am not familier with the caves you guys dive in, but wouldn't this shift of sand in restricted areas either fill in the area or flush it out depending on flow? It would then be possible that if he was behind a restriction that blocked his exit that when the flow increases during this winter that the restriction would open back up again and possibly release him back into the main part of the system.

Yep, read back and we've covered about every eventuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom