General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If You had an actual "slide" of sand (new material that has not been disturbed before) you would think that it would take some time to have the natural flow remove the fines and clear up the viz. I can see a shift of sand in a restriction depending on flow volume. If he went through a narrow passage and the sand shifted, closing out his ability to return, that would seem more probable. I am not familier with the caves you guys dive in, but wouldn't this shift of sand in restricted areas either fill in the area or flush it out depending on flow? It would then be possible that if he was behind a restriction that blocked his exit that when the flow increases during this winter that the restriction would open back up again and possibly release him back into the main part of the system.

Its a continual effect. The flow builds the sand up into a slide. Eventually, it will slide naturally, sometimes its disturbed and slides prematurely. Then the process repeats, infinately.

I don't think he's trapped behind some restriction to be honest... if anything, he's under it. Thats just my opinion, if he's in the cave at all, which I'm certainly not 100% on...

If he's under sand, he'll turn up eventually :/

I learned today that the map of Vortex is not accurate. The cave is several hundred feet shorter than reported.

Are there any other springs/caves in the area he could've gone to? Maybe with another diver he met up with and they left together in the other divers vehicle? Has anyone in the area been reported missing who is known to dive? Any "abandoned" vehicles reported near a pond/spring? (All pure SPECULATION but more plausible than aliens)

Are there any other springs/caves in the area he could've gone to? Maybe with another diver he met up with and they left together in the other divers vehicle? Has anyone in the area been reported missing who is known to dive? Any "abandoned" vehicles reported near a pond/spring? (All pure SPECULATION but more plausible than aliens)
Dozens of springs in the area, but duno if he would know about the ones where they don't check certs.

:hm: Let's look at what we have so far:

1. Our very best cave divers went into Vortex and pronounced that there was no trace of Ben, nor were there any traces (marks, etc.) that Ben went further than they did. They, the very best experienced cave divers, say he isn't beyond any area they have already searched. - We probably ought to trust their opinion.

2. There is some small wavering by some of those familiar with Vortex that Ben may possibly be buried in a cave-in of the unstable walls / structure, but they aren't real convinced of that.

3. There are conspiracy theorists that opine Ben left his truck and some mediumly expensive things and money in his vehicle as a ploy for him to disappear . . . (the Mexico story).

4. There are some that think Ben might have set up stages, and came back up (for whatever reason) and somehow was taken or went somewhere else. Therefore, his body may be elsewhere.

5. Others do not believe, given the poor decisions made by the man in relation to the cave, that he has the abilities to stage anything, and he is somewhere wondering how to get out of the mess he's in.

6. Lastly, he was abducted by alians (this solar system or outside?), eaten by the Vortex Monster, or is being held by some cult somewhere . . . .

Did I get them all?

:hm: Let's look at what we have so far:

1. Our very best cave divers went into Vortex and pronounced that there was no trace of Ben, nor were there any traces (marks, etc.) that Ben went further than they did. They, the very best experienced cave divers, say he isn't beyond any area they have already searched. - We probably ought to trust their opinion.

2. There is some small wavering by some of those familiar with Vortex that Ben may possibly be buried in a cave-in of the unstable walls / structure, but they aren't real convinced of that.

3. There are conspiracy theorists that opine Ben left his truck and some mediumly expensive things and money in his vehicle as a ploy for him to disappear . . . (the Mexico story).

4. There are some that think Ben might have set up stages, and came back up (for whatever reason) and somehow was taken or went somewhere else. Therefore, his body may be elsewhere.

5. Others do not believe, given the poor decisions made by the man in relation to the cave, that he has the abilities to stage anything, and he is somewhere wondering how to get out of the mess he's in.

6. Lastly, he was abducted by alians (this solar system or outside?), eaten by the Vortex Monster, or is being held by some cult somewhere . . . .

Did I get them all?

7. Some DIR divers smoke (but not publicly).

8. Some Baptists drink (but not publicly).

9. Some people dive SM in open water and shouldn't because SM is only for certified full cave divers with Abe Davis Awards in their pocket.

9. Some people dive SM in open water and shouldn't because SM is only for certified full cave divers with Abe Davis Awards in their pocket.

:shocked2: Oh, crap; am I going to jail?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom