Garmin vs shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FENIX 8
Dive computer capabilities about 1/2 way down the page:
Thanks for posting.

A couple real quick observations.

Looks like the compass is a bit different. At least compared to my MK2s, not sure how it shows in the MK3 line. On my MK2s, there is a compass screen where the compass occupies the majority of the screen. Looks like the Fenix 8 has a compass ring occupying a portion of the top of the screen.

No user adjustable layout configuration according to the table. Though, the way that’s worded, it’s possible that there is user configuration, just not for advanced data fields. Also, no mention in this article if you can use custom GFs or disable lockout.

Still, it will work for most recreational divers, though I do wonder what happens if you go deeper than 40M/130 ft.

Thanks for posting.

A couple real quick observations.

Looks like the compass is a bit different. At least compared to my MK2s, not sure how it shows in the MK3 line. On my MK2s, there is a compass screen where the compass occupies the majority of the screen. Looks like the Fenix 8 has a compass ring occupying a portion of the top of the screen.

No user adjustable layout configuration according to the table. Though, the way that’s worded, it’s possible that there is user configuration, just not for advanced data fields. Also, no mention in this article if you can use custom GFs or disable lockout.

Still, it will work for most recreational divers, though I do wonder what happens if you go deeper than 40M/130 ft.
More of a smart watch that can be used as a computer than a computer that can be used as a smart watch like the Descent models.
The author includes certification data showing it can live through greater depths at least.
Seems to be a good option for an active person who is also a recreational diver.
Garmin has been in the dive computer business for a few years now, so I imagine its capabilities, although limited, will be well thought out.
I’ve been using a Descent Mk 1 as a backup for about six years now and it has never failed me. It has been more than the toy I had originally thought it to be.

Back
Top Bottom