Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are both nice watches, not the best dive computers IMO. The Fenix is a more functional watch than the Suunto.

They are both nice watches, not the best dive computers IMO. The Fenix is a more functional watch than the Suunto.

What does the Descent lack, compared to "the best" dive computer?

I have my own pet list, but I'm curious what other folks think.

What does the Descent lack
The size of the numbers, air integration and a Fischer cable.

The size of the numbers, air integration and a Fischer cable.

There is no computer (that I know of) that has all 3 of those things. So, the Descent is only "not Best" when compared against an imaginary computer?

Shearwater will give you all 3, no need to imagine....

Shearwater will give you all 3, no need to imagine....

What Shearwater computer has a Fischer cable and AI? The NERD 2 maybe?

So, the Descent is only "not Best" when compared against an imaginary computer?
I'm a mechanic. I have veritable "ton" of tools. They probably way two or three tons. Which tool is the "best" depends on the job at hand. I have different BCs, different regs and even different PDCs to select from depending on the dive. Since I've acquired the Petrel with a Fischer cable connector on it, it's made every dive I've made. I almost always dive with a back up, and that has been another Petrel (with CAN interface), a Hollis and now the Descent. I would love to have a Perdix with two sensors for when I side mount.

So, the answer to your question is: I'm still patiently waiting for the perfect PDC. I made a list of what the Descent lacks in my almost humble opinion.

What about Eon Steel or Eon Core? Much easier to read than the Sherwater, air integration, USB cable & Bluetooth. And the screens are customizable.

I use mine with two transmitters when diving sidemount. I would like to be able to label the two gases 'right' and 'left' to make it easier to switch between the two, though.

I use mine with two transmitters when diving sidemount.
I do this with my Hollis, but I dive two PDCs. The left one uses the left transmitter as primary and the right one uses the right transmitter as primary. Very simple indeed. :D

I just got the Descent and so far I love it. I wasn't able to dive it this last week home but I did get some pool time with it to at least play with it a bit. Compared to other computers I have used it is hands down one of the easiest to learn to use. By just sitting down and playing with it I was able to figure out most of it so far and I think this will fit perfectly for what I plan to use it for and that is everything outdoors. I spend a lot of time hunting, fishing and hiking and the installed topo maps are good quality and if you have good eyesight is easy to see because the screen in really clear. My last computer an Oceanic Geo 2 was a nightmare to figure out and I spent as much time with the instruction manual that obviously was written by someone that spoke english as a second or possibly a third language. The menu is laid out well and like my other Garmin products is really easy to navigate and figure out. I have been wearing it for the last week as a fitness watch and daily wear watch and it is a bit bulky but not too bad once you get used to it. It has been monitoring my sleep, step count, calorie burn and all the other things that a fitness watch is supposed to do as well as telling you to move if you have been sitting for too long. The heart rate monitor has been spot on as compared to my other heart rate monitor and checking my pulse with a stopwatch. It also doubles as a smart watch and is connected to my phone so I get updates from text, email, incoming phone calls etc.. The battery life has been good and it has been going through about 10% per day but that is with me constantly playing with it. Charge time is really quick. The dive pages are good but I would like to see a page that you can personalize but each of the three screens in dive mode have the important information. One of my favorite functions is the compass, It has a three axis compass on it and the thing even worked upside down. The ability to lock in a direction is really handy so with a quick look its easy to see if you are headed the right direction to stay on course. With a quick push of button it will automatically set the reciprocal for you or 90 degree left or right.
Since I am not just a diver and spend a lot of time outdoors I think this watch is perfect for me, there is so much more that it can and will do that it will take me a while to learn it all, there is also a lot that I will never use but its easy to make those apps disappear and just keep the ones you want. There is also a lot more apps online and they are really easy to download.
I don't think you will be disappointed if you get one. I get home in a week and will be diving for sure this time off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom