Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drharps

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a new dive watch. My Mosquito, while great, is getting old and with so many new options on the market, I'm ready for something new. Especially since I'm also an avid hiker and so many of the watches have multiple uses.

My question is: if I want a watch I can use for fitness, hiking, and diving, is the Descent the best bet or does Suunto make a product comparable/better? For those who have the Descent, what are your thoughts?

My diving needs are fairly basic. I don't do anything outside of basic air tank and rarely go deeper than 150'. This is why I think I can have my cake and eat it too with a running, swimming, fitness, hiking, etc. watch.

Thanks everyone!

You use the word "watch," but the Mosquito is actually a computer. Are you asking for a dive computer that is also useful as an everyday watch?

Price isn't a factor right now as I get work compensation for about half of it.

Sorry, I say watch when it can double as a watch. I usually say computer when it's a more serious form of hardware (something that takes up a forearm). So I mean something I can wear as a regular watch when I want.

I am a very simple diver/hiker so I don't have a ton of required features. I will use it as my dive computer so it needs to have the basic functionality there, but like I said I don't go extreme on my diving - just depth, dive tables, etc. - and the ability to upload to computer, which i think they all do now. For hiking, I would want it to upload to my computer with the hike info (terrain change, map, etc.). Ideally, it would also be usable as a running watch and I like the idea of heart rate, etc. but if everything else is met, that's not mission critical.

It seems the Descent is going to be the best for all those needs, but having never seen Garmin on SCUBA I don't want to buy a seriously imperfect piece of equipment.

Given the lack of responses, I'm assuming the Garmin is too new for many reviews on it.

So let me ask this, do people know of good dive computers that are watches and have multiple, non-dive related purposes? Most of the Suunto watch computers I see are specialized to diving and don't do much else, like track hiking.

definitely too new to have any serious reviews on it unfortunately, but I wouldn't say it's a gamble since it is based on stable products in their line. I would choose Garmin over Suunto given your criteria from the dive shop factor

I did not know diddly squat about the Garmin until this thread, and now I only know what I read on Garmin's product description. Based solely on that and assuming it all actually works, I would absolutely choose the Garmin over the Suunto if those were my only choices. It does more, and what it does is better than what the Suunto does because of the algorithm.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of a watch style computer to start with because I can't see it well enough underwater. I would prefer something with a much bigger face and a bright display. When you go to the watch style, you lose that visibility and you gain the additional cost required to get it that small. The technical dive computer many people think is the best on the market costs several hundred dollars less than the Garmin. You could have a great computer and then use the money you saved to buy a decent watch.

But you say you only need a basic computer for the dives you are doing. In that case, the Garmin has way more functionality than you need. You could therefore buy instead a much cheaper wrist computer that does exactly what you need and a darn good watch that does what you need, and then treat yourself to something else with the money you saved.

I think Garmin is the first to incorporate all the other functions into a dive watch. My concern is how long my "Dive Computer" would hold up if it was worn as an everyday watch. I really like the idea of this watch but I am hesitant.

I gifted myself the Garmin fenix 5 for christmas (the smaller, non-dive version of the descent) and I'm in love with it as a day-to-day, fitness and triathlon watch so far.

Although Garmin's brand new to the dive computer world they've made some fantastic products and I wouldn't hesitate to trust one for basic diving.

That being said, my thought process would go:
1. Am I going to use the full multisport capabilities of this watch or do I mainly want it for running / hiking?
2. Do I dive enough that it makes sense to accept a bulkier day-to-day watch for the convenience of one device?
3. If I do dive that much, am I sure I don't want a bigger computer instead of a smaller wristwatch? (although the screen on the Descent's still sizable)

You could definitely buy a nice running watch and a lower end dive computer for less. But I'd totally consider it if you find having everything in one place that appealing.

Check out DC Rainmaker's review of the Descent and fenix 5X (since most of the fenix review will also apply to the Descent):
Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch
Garmin Fenix 5/5S/5X In-Depth Review

I’v been pretty open with the fact that I’ve been a descent tester, having my fair share of dives on it, not to mention daily wearing it the majority of the year. I’m absolutely open to questions and won’t pull any punches to areas I find it lacking.
If I can help, ask me anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom