Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’v been pretty open with the fact that I’ve been a descent tester, having my fair share of dives on it, not to mention daily wearing it the majority of the year. I’m absolutely open to questions and won’t pull any punches to areas I find it lacking.
If I can help, ask me anything.
Thanks Rhyno! Ironically, I could have sat down to have a beer with you as I just got back to Hawaii after spending the holidays with my family in Prairie Village.

Anyway, what are your general views of it? (Just link to another review if you have made it.) As I've mentioned, I don't have super technical needs. Assuming it gets the basics done and done well, that's all I'm asking for. I appreciate some of the comments that I should just get a cheap computer and a separate hiking watch, but the Descent seems pretty solid so it's enticing me. Worth the price? Decent overall watch?

Rhyno, Would you give us a full rundown on your experiences with it? I just placed an order for one and hopefully will be receiving it in about two weeks
I’v been pretty open with the fact that I’ve been a descent tester, having my fair share of dives on it, not to mention daily wearing it the majority of the year. I’m absolutely open to questions and won’t pull any punches to areas I find it lacking.
If I can help, ask me anything.

I just purchased the Garmin Descent MK1 dive computer / fitness watch. I’m very interested to see the heart rate /calorie burn / fitness data for each dive. The GPS function to map dive entry points (or maybe the boat location on the surface) also seems valuable. This is a HUGE step up for me since I’ve had an old console/hose mounted Suunto computer for 20 years. Leaving for Fiji in a few weeks so will post a review when I return.

This is why I think I can have my cake and eat it too with a running, swimming, fitness, hiking, etc. watch.
I agree with this statement. As an activity tracker (including diving), it's the bomb. I love it, love it, love it. I'm not sure I'll make another dive without my Descent. There's still a lot I have to learn about it. It's trimix ready and can handle up to six gasses, but I'm not there with it yet. I might be at some time, but I really, really trust my Shearwaters for those types of dives. I have about a week's worth of diving on it, and am just starting to coalesce my thoughts on it, but at this point I give it two OKs, way up. I'll post a link to my review here when it comes up.

I got to get e pretty good look at the garmin descent at Dema in Orlando. I was as as impressed with it as possible without getting to dive with it. I know the OP says he does not really need options, but "sometimes" dives air (21%) down to 150.
...umm if that's the case, you really need a computer capable of deco and repetitive dive planning, which the garmin does.

If money was not a barrier, or I could get one 1/2 price, I would already have one of these!

I'm especially impressed that it has gradient factors and could be set to match up to my shearwater, so this could be a nice backup computer.

3. If I do dive that much, am I sure I don't want a bigger computer instead of a smaller wristwatch? (although the screen on the Descent's still sizable)

I use a wristwatch-sized computer for technical diving (alongside a Shearwater Perdix AI) - a Seabear H3. It is just as readable as the Perdix is. It doesn't display as many pieces of data as the Perdix, but it does show me everything I want to see.

I would say don't judge a book by the size of its cover.

If/when Garmin comes out with an AI version of the Descent, I will be thinking VERY hard about buying one. The smaller size of my H3 (as compared to the Perdix) is much preferable (to ME).

So update to my question and where I'm curious to get some expert opinions:

I currently dive with a Suunto Mosquito. I haven't dove with it for several months as the battery is dead and I need to get a replacement (the battery compartment cover is ruined so I need one of those too).

I am getting the Garmin 5x. For $300 more (the discount I receive through work), I can get the Descent. My Mosquito is probably 10 years old. Is it worth updating my equipment for $300 to the Descent, or is that a case of me 'chasing the pretty object' and it's an unnecessary expenditure? I read somewhere that dive computer watches can break down with time so if I can get the discount now, it seems like that is worth investing in. If the Mosquito likely has another 5-10 years on it at least, then $300 may be an unnecessary expenditure and I'm getting lured in by it being new and me getting a discount.

Thoughts?

For $300 more? I'd vote a big yes. I've really enjoyed the heck out of my Descent the three weeks I've owned it. Sure, it's a bit bossy (MOVE!), but I'm used to bossy women in my life. :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom