Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 30 dives on my Descent and it has performed adequately. It is limited in its setup parameters but straightforward and intuitive. I use it in conjunction with a Perdix.
Its main advantage to me is as a sports watch with tracking capabilities on dry land. While my Perdix sleeps for most of the year the Descent is out and used almost daily.

Hey guys,

I got the descent and used it for the first time today.
I did 2 dives, first up to 18m and 45min, second up to 11m and 45min.
My question is that at the end of the first dive when I reached 5m the security level started to count for 3 min as I preset it to count 3min at 5m so all ok. On the second dive, there was no automatic security level counter.. Any idea why?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Cheers

On the second dive, there was no automatic security level counter.. Any idea why?
The Mk1 uses a smart safety stop algorithm and you didn’t go deep enough to “require” a safety stop. I think it triggers at around 11.5m.

My Mk1 does this by default. My Shearwater Perdix has the same thing as an option.

The Mk1 uses a smart safety stop algorithm and you didn’t go deep enough to “require” a safety stop. I think it triggers at around 11.5m.

My Mk1 does this by default. My Shearwater Perdix has the same thing as an option.

Thanks for the reply.
So I cannot force it to do a safety stop in the options ?

Cheers

just a thought on the AI thing. I dive a rebreather nowadays and air pressure has taken on new meanings. until this last trip I had been using a Suunto D10 with AI. I put the transmitter on my diluent tank as I thought that would be the most critical as its my bailout gas. turns out its just really not that useful. gas remaining problems are just not that relevant on a rebreather. for my most recent trip I was using the MK1. talk about a winner. the watch is easy to read. has relevant information. switches screens with a tap. safty stop was the easiest I have ever seen. and I did not miss the AI. this is my #3 computer (can you say redundant?) so I have all relevant gas info on the two other computers if I need to know. So yes there is a market for non AI computers.

Back
Top Bottom