Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am using the Fenix 5 plus for diving , in particular for free diving and I like it. Works well with the diveiq https://www.diveiq.com/

I got down to approx 15-20 meters at the coast of Carmel by the sea.
Clean the watch later with fresh water

I am using the Fenix 5 plus for diving , in particular for free diving and I like it. Works well with the diveiq https://www.diveiq.com/

I got down to approx 15-20 meters at the coast of Carmel by the sea.
Clean the watch later with fresh water

Have you been pushing any button on your Fenix 5+ while you were underwater (especially deeper than 5 meters)?

I am in the market for a new dive watch. My Mosquito, while great, is getting old and with so many new options on the market, I'm ready for something new. Especially since I'm also an avid hiker and so many of the watches have multiple uses.

My question is: if I want a watch I can use for fitness, hiking, and diving, is the Descent the best bet or does Suunto make a product comparable/better? For those who have the Descent, what are your thoughts?

My diving needs are fairly basic. I don't do anything outside of basic air tank and rarely go deeper than 150'. This is why I think I can have my cake and eat it too with a running, swimming, fitness, hiking, etc. watch.

Thanks everyone!

I know this has been addressed ad infinitum but in the off chance Garmin execs are reading this thread I would buy one if it had Air Integration. Without that it is useless for diving in my opinion. All brand new 1000 dollar dive computers should have that capability. In case you want to upgrade to A.I. in future or for those of us that already have it.

Major downside not happy. Did want it, wont settle for non air integrated.

I’v been pretty open with the fact that I’ve been a descent tester, having my fair share of dives on it, not to mention daily wearing it the majority of the year. I’m absolutely open to questions and won’t pull any punches to areas I find it lacking.
If I can help, ask me anything.
please let garmin know we are definitely not happy about it not having Air Integration.

I've been very happy with my Descent. I also use my pressure gauge and check against actual tables. I think for a lot of divers AI can give you a false sense of security and (in my opinion) you should always assume a computer will fail and use it as such. Being able to track Freedive and Scuba on the same day was a big selling point for me. I definitely, recommend it!

Any comments on the readability of the screen underwater - specifically font size for divers who use reading glasses (~+2) above water?

Have you been pushing any button on your Fenix 5+ while you were underwater (especially deeper than 5 meters)?

No I have not pushed any buttons and I am not planning to push the buttons
I didn't need too do it for freediving.

One day I will test the scuba diving app and post my experience here

Today I used my garmin 5x plus and iq dive computer app. It performed very well. 50 minutes dive and 23 meters max depth. Compared with a scubapro chromis, and meters, rbt, even safety stop were almost identical.

1EFFAD2A-E900-40D2-8D13-55EACC63D92D.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom