Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IThe clanger? I got off the plane when it landed and headed straight to the LDS where I bought it and said it had to go back. It continuously lost the transmitter signal, even though the battery said "high". (There's another thread on this board from others who have had the same experience). Sometimes I didn't hear the beeping right away through my hood. And at some point, after the signal has been lost long enough, it ceases to calculate remaining bottom time as per air consumption. That's not a complete show stopper as I generally know when I need to start to ascend based on remaining pressure but when you pay this much for a computer, all the bells and whistles need to work. And its a PITA to constantly be trying to reconnect the signal. In a 90 minute dive, I'd probably lose it 20 or 30 times. I tried rotating the thing 180 degrees (which you can do, and which felt better on my small wrist, actually, having the weight at the bottom rather than the top), but that seemed to make the signal loss worse. Once at the LDS, the owner said that he'd never heard of this happening in any of these computers he'd sold. He phoned the rep immediately who asked a couple of basic questions - did I wear the computer on the same side as the transmitter (yes). (It wasn't pointing at my head as my regulator - an Oceanic Delta 4 FDX 10 - just doesn't allow for that.) Was the battery good (yes, brand new). So off it went. So we'll see.

The manual says that flash photography can affect the transmission. I was the only person using a camera in the group throughout my dives, and it still lost the signals even if I didn't have the strobe turned on.

I hope they will be able to get it working properly because it's a pretty cool computer. Otherwise, I will not be keeping it, obviously.

Finally heard back from LDS that Uwatec has shipped me a brand-new replacement computer. Hooray!

>>Finally heard back from LDS that Uwatec has shipped me a brand-new replacement computer. Hooray!<<

Yes, but as I recall, it was last Summer when you had this problem. How long did it take for them to respond with the new computer?

Thanks,
<TED>

The only problem i have had with the Galileo is the IrDA does not work. I keep a loge book, but i can't download anything on to my computer.

For an "only" problem, that's pretty huge!

It's a good thing I started to read this blog before laying down almost 2 grand for a devise that CLEARLY had many issues. I'll wait for the next generation.!

The only problem i have had with the Galileo is the IrDA does not work. I keep a loge book, but i can't download anything on to my computer.

I'd be willing to bet that there is nothing wrong with the Galelio and that your IR interface is misconfigured or is being blocked by something on your computer (A/V software does this a lot).

Terry

>>Finally heard back from LDS that Uwatec has shipped me a brand-new replacement computer. Hooray!<<

Yes, but as I recall, it was last Summer when you had this problem. How long did it take for them to respond with the new computer?

Thanks,
<TED>

It was mid to latter part of November that I took it back. So just about 3 months.... I hope the warranty re-starts at zero with the new computer!

I'd be willing to bet that there is nothing wrong with the Galelio and that your IR interface is misconfigured or is being blocked by something on your computer (A/V software does this a lot).

Terry

IrDA is not well standardized and interoperability problems are common. If it doesn't work with Uwatec dongle(a standard dongle that they resell) then probably your computer is broke.

Niclas

IrDA is not well standardized and interoperability problems are common. If it doesn't work with Uwatec dongle(a standard dongle that they resell) then probably your computer is broke.

Niclas

FWIW, I couldn't get the software that came on a disc with the computer to work either. However, I went on line and got the latest software and it worked just fine.

<TED>

The first IrDA i had was not properly configured. I ordered a Uwatec IrDA, and with the JTrak download from the Scuba Pro web sit it now works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom