Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to download 7 or 8 different IrDA drivers before I hit on the one that works with my $5 IrDA USB adapter.

I have the same problem, and had
Only problem I've had is on the first couple dives, kept losing the transmitter signal. Was told it was from my camera/flash interference. Haven't had it with the camera since so don't know if it was a fluke or will be a continuing issue.

I had similar problem. My Gal Sol lost pressure reading twice in my dive trip in last Sept, OK in last Dec trip and then lost reading in 3 dives on my Feb trip. I returned the computer to the agent and they checked and said it's OK.
Now I give it up.

NOT GOOD. Especially for a $2,000 devise. Send it back

I read this post quickly (have to do SOME work to feed this addiction) - so apologies if the below info is repeat.

Size:
It is not small, but I was able to doff more stuff than Galileo replaces so the juice is worth the squeeze.

Transmitter:
The Galileo shows its battery level but not the transmitter battery level. The manual says you'll get a warning - 'T1 battery low' - for the transmitter, but either I didn't or I missed it. I had an OOA emergency at 47' due to dead transmitter battery - on dive #6 w/ Galileo, while on vacation. If you're wondering, this was a sucked the cylinder dry, buddy breathing w/ the DM thru the safety stop, manual inflate of BCD in 4' swells, snorkel to pickup point, have a cylinder VIP afterward to check for seawater kinda OOA (don't flame me - I fully acknowledge the OOA was diver error since I should have called the dive as soon as I lost Galileo's SPG data). Everything else - no-stop timer, safety stop timer, depth guage, compass - never failed so I was able to follow my training and survive the OOA like it didn't happen. During the interval I asked 'every buddy' if they objected, then did the second dive on tables and my watch (yes, this really does work ;>) and Galileo functioned flawlessly again. I got back to shore then ran, screaming, to the local SP dealer. He calmly paired my Galileo w/ 3 other transmitters in his shop, then charged me $40 to replace the transmitter battery and seals. While this did infuriate me after only 6 dives, it's cheaper than a trip to the chamber, better than a trip to the morgue, and complete piece of mind since I now have a shiny new battery. I've since done 14 dives and it's flawless.
Note: I was also told the technology is an 'always on' tech - just like the HRM - meaning if the transmitter senses pressure, it transmits a signal. Ergo, if you do a gear check at the dock and leave the valve open for the 45min trip to the first dive site, then repeat w/ tank 2 during the 1hr interval, then leave it on for the 45min trip back to port, wouldn't this eat thru more battery than total dive time?? Per the manual, the transmitter shuts off if no pressure change for 40 seconds or <200psi so I don't know which is correct. Hey niclasg - any input? I do know when my Galileo, HRM and transmitter all have new batteries and I set it up properly, Galileo works as advertised - IMHO better than current SPG/computer/compass alternatives. Also, noone touches my gear but me and I'm careful not to treat the transmitter like a handle nor store my reg w/ the transmitter pointing out so it gets banged up.

Strap:
Someone posted about the strap length. My wrists are not large, so I had the same problem. I trimmed off some strap (it's just rubber) then use the opening beneath the buttons above the battery compartment to stow the extra strap.

IRDA:
Most communication problems are the comm device & its driver (e.g. irda dongle and software that makes it work) or interference (e.g. antivirus software preventing dongle software from passing data). I paid $20 instead of $5 because the $20 version came w/ drivers - none of which worked. But I figured if the dongle manufacturer spent the extra $0.36 to include a CD-ROM w/ drivers, they might have updates available thru a website. Sure enough, I grabbed the 'hi-speed driver update' and have never had a problem. If anyone is having irda problems, PM me & I'll see if I can help.

-s.d

PS - the manual says HRM battery is good for 2500 hours but if it's wet, it transmits ... so I guess stop wearing it all day

First a heart-rate followup.

Before my dive yesterday, I tightened the HRM strap a bit and put on some electrode gel. The HRM readings during the dive were almost flawless. In the log I saw that there were 3 moments when the signal was lost for a second (display showed "---") and there were none of the erroneous high heart rate readings I had seen before.

Note that this is under a drysuit!

My conclusion so far is that the HRM's electrical connection to YOU is the key factor in good function, assuming you don't have freakishly long arms that would put the computer on your wrist out of range. :)

I put the HRM on at home, under my base layer. That way I won't have to mess with it at the site. It's wasting battery life on the way to the dive, but I've decided that's OK. The battery life is 2500 hours, so even if I put it on 3 hours before a dive, the battery will live for about 600 dives. Good enough.

I had similar problem. My Gal Sol lost pressure reading twice in my dive trip in last Sept, OK in last Dec trip and then lost reading in 3 dives on my Feb trip. I returned the computer to the agent and they checked and said it's OK.
Now I give it up.

Do you mean it lost the signal temporarily, or it lost it and never got it back?

The former is not a big deal, IMHO. I have seen mine lose the pressure signal for a moment. But it's ONLY for a moment, and I only notice it in the log, not on the dive.

If it loses the signal often enough that you notice it happening on your wrist, or loses it completely, yeah, big problem! I would ignore whatever your dealer says, and replace the transmitter battery. If that doesn't do it, contact Uwatec directly for warranty service. It CAN work. It SHOULD work. Make them fix it.

scuba.dude and anyone else with an air-integrated computer:

USE BACKUP INSTRUMENTS.

I am going to make another post in this forum on that topic, based on some recent experience.

USE BACKUP INSTRUMENTS.

I know, I know ... I agree the diver was dumber than the equipment ...

I am going to make another post in this forum on that topic, based on some recent experience.

Please advise link or key words to find it.

-s.d

USE BACKUP INSTRUMENTS.

If you're reading this and you're new to diving, PLEASE HEED THIS.

I re-read my post above (#134) and realized my 'mental myopia' took over. I wanted to let potential-wireless-ai-computer-buyers know via real world example that even if the SPG data fails, it isn't cause for concern WITH THE PROPER TRAINING AND DIVE PLAN. I didn't intend to sound cavalier and a new diver SHOULD NOT USE MY EXPERIENCE TO DO ANY DIVE EVERY.

To MattS' point, a backup SPG guage makes sense. I dove the Navy NDL tables for 15 years before I got a computer, so even w/ my Galileo I won't enter the water 1) until I know my max dive time and 2) without my annually-maintained diving watch which has a uni-directional bezel (my 'analog backup' to my digital computer). So what happened? I got greedy about bottom time, did my tables in my head, and forgot to factor in some stuff that caused me to chew thru my air faster than I thought I was. This was stupid and when my SPG data fails next time (cause if it can happen you must plan that it will happen), I'll call the dive.

-mike
a.k.a scuba.dude

First a heart-rate followup.

Before my dive yesterday, I tightened the HRM strap a bit and put on some electrode gel. The HRM readings during the dive were almost flawless. In the log I saw that there were 3 moments when the signal was lost for a second (display showed "---") and there were none of the erroneous high heart rate readings I had seen before.

Note that this is under a drysuit!

My conclusion so far is that the HRM's electrical connection to YOU is the key factor in good function, assuming you don't have freakishly long arms that would put the computer on your wrist out of range. :)

I put the HRM on at home, under my base layer. That way I won't have to mess with it at the site. It's wasting battery life on the way to the dive, but I've decided that's OK. The battery life is 2500 hours, so even if I put it on 3 hours before a dive, the battery will live for about 600 dives. Good enough.

Do you mean it lost the signal temporarily, or it lost it and never got it back?

The former is not a big deal, IMHO. I have seen mine lose the pressure signal for a moment. But it's ONLY for a moment, and I only notice it in the log, not on the dive.

If it loses the signal often enough that you notice it happening on your wrist, or loses it completely, yeah, big problem! I would ignore whatever your dealer says, and replace the transmitter battery. If that doesn't do it, contact Uwatec directly for warranty service. It CAN work. It SHOULD work. Make them fix it.

USE BACKUP INSTRUMENTS.

NO, the problem I mentioned was the signal never coming backing in all the problomatic dives. As I did not have back up pressure gauge, I could only dive above my buddies and finished the dives earlier.
Usually I syn the computer and transmitter before jumping to sea. By the time I jumped to the sea, the signal might lost as the computer might turn off automatically. But after a few minutes it would come up.
In fact, I forgot to mention in the last Sept dive in Sipadan, one of the divers also wore the Gal Sol (the 1st time). He also lost the pressure signals in 2 complete dives. Then I thought it might be the problem of 2 transmitters working nearby. But I was the only one used Gal Sol in the dive in Feb. The lost signals problem still happened. Lost confidence on this product already. Now looking for other computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom