Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contact the manufacturer and insist on a replacement. You paid for it, you should get a working one. Even if you don't want to use it any more, one that works right will be easier to sell to another diver. Good luck!

carllam2000: that's rough - it's always frustrating to put all the thought & work into prep, then have a gear issue like that. If you want to dive more before you get another computer, read below. If not, MattS is correct & good luck w/ an expedient warrnty exchange!

FWIW, after I had my transmitter battery changed and the SP dealer re-paired my Galileo, I tested it on the surface before I went back down. (Note: It's not advised to sit outside a Starbucks using wi-fi and suck off a cylinder, you get some REALLY strange looks ...) I found the unit to 'skip' more than I wanted, so I deleted the pairing, turned off Galileo, removed reg from cylinder, etc, waited 15 min, then repaired, and it has since worked fine. In your case, I would do a 'factory reset' since you can re-sync all your settings from SmartTrak.

Good Luck!!

-s.d

carllam2000: that's rough - it's always frustrating to put all the thought & work into prep, then have a gear issue like that. If you want to dive more before you get another computer, read below. If not, MattS is correct & good luck w/ an expedient warrnty exchange!

FWIW, after I had my transmitter battery changed and the SP dealer re-paired my Galileo, I tested it on the surface before I went back down. (Note: It's not advised to sit outside a Starbucks using wi-fi and suck off a cylinder, you get some REALLY strange looks ...) I found the unit to 'skip' more than I wanted, so I deleted the pairing, turned off Galileo, removed reg from cylinder, etc, waited 15 min, then repaired, and it has since worked fine. In your case, I would do a 'factory reset' since you can re-sync all your settings from SmartTrak.

Good Luck!!

-s.d
Thanks all for valuable advice.
I'll try to see any luck.

I just finished a week in Bonaire, diving two and three dives a day with my Galileo Sol... It performed beautifully, no drop outs from either the HR monitor or the pressure. My camera flash did not affect the transmission between the watch and the transmitter. Just a note.... My transmitter is actually not pointed towards the left hand side (watch side) it is on the right hand side, (not sure if that makes any difference, and hope that it it is not that sensitive).... If your unit doesn't work work as well as mine demand a replacement. I also use a mini set of analog gauges as back up to the Gal Sol....

I have seen the occasional pressure signal dropout on my Sol, but nothing troublesome. They went away entirely when I switched my can light from the right to left hand. Now the light's power cord does not pass near the Sol. I think it caused some interference once in a while.

I've done ~15 wreck / reef trips since I posted above and have noticed a trend pursuant to lost pressure signal. I am rather active during the wreck dives - no problems. The reefs are drift dives where I tend to tuck my thumbs into my belt on my stomache - I get a 'lost pressure signal' warning. I simply extend my arm out to my side (left arm w/ transmitter on left side of 1st stage) and the signal returns within 15-30 seconds.

-s.d

just returned from 2 weeks in philippines. Dived Tubattaha with the Gallileo sol.

Extremely happy with the unit at all depths. No drop outs of signal.

warnings audible and visual exceptionally good to see and hear. The ease of reading the unit without using the gauge reader goggles.

The user friendly menu system and warning system makes this very worthwhile for me.

I uploaded information using the $5 dongle from hong kong without any problems at all.

Have not used the heart monitor.

Today I left my HR monitor off, and interestingly on the dive log it still SHOWS a heart rate. Maybe it is approximating it off gas consumption? I will have to figure that out. No one else on the dive had a Galileo!

I'm also increasingly convinced that I had some pressure transmitter problems because my can light was on the same hand. Since I switched my light to my left hand, where it should have been anyway, I haven't noticed any temporary signal losses.

Today I left my HR monitor off ... on the dive log it still SHOWS a heart rate. Maybe it is approximating it off gas consumption? ...

FWIW: if you mean the log in SmartTrak - I have clicked on 'Workload' when I wanted 'Heart Rate' because the icons are close to each other and look similar. If this is not it, maybe check the Workload calc setting ??

-s.d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom