Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks,

With those that were loosing connection, answer this one question. Is the tansceiver directly connected on the 1st stage or is it on a hose.

Why do I ask.... I am cuurently looking at Al computers for my partner and a comment came up re the transducer and placement... some people use the transducer as a lift point thus damaging it. Thus suggesting to put it on a short hose.

So, if on a short hose, is the connectivity stability any better (being that it may hang over your sholders and thus closer to your wrist mouted console) than having the transducer directly connected to the respective 1st stage.

promocop: Looking at it, I doubt it, at least not exactly. The sol is designed as the super easy everything in one place soltion and the new oceanic unit is a watch sized device with similar features but the interface cannot display the same info.

Folks,

With those that were loosing connection, answer this one question. Is the tansceiver directly connected on the 1st stage or is it on a hose.

Why do I ask.... I am cuurently looking at Al computers for my partner and a comment came up re the transducer and placement... some people use the transducer as a lift point thus damaging it. Thus suggesting to put it on a short hose.

So, if on a short hose, is the connectivity stability any better (being that it may hang over your sholders and thus closer to your wrist mouted console) than having the transducer directly connected to the respective 1st stage.
My transmitter is directly attached to the 1st stage. But, I've never lost the signal for any significant amount of time. Usually, If I notice that it's lost signal, I just simply put the computer up near the transmitter and I get the signal back. Losing the signal is not a very common occurrence.

I thought about putting the transmitter on a short hose to keep anyone from trying to lift my rig by the transmitter, but the shortest off-the-rack HP hose I could find was 6". I'd prefer not to have my transmitter flopping around on a 6" hose.

My Galileo Sol came in with transmitter from www.scubastore.com they are an authorized dealer for scubapro according to their website.

I got an awesome price just click on their site and see for yourself... Do not purchase it from Leisurepro they are asking $1599.99 without shipping.

MG

That's a good price and I almost just bought one. :)

Are you sure they are authorized? Is there any way to check? Off to Google..

OK, according to a forum at scubatoys, that place is an authorized dealer in Spain. Someone posted text from Scubapro web site that seems to say if you buy from an authorized retailer in Europe over the internet, you can only get warranty service in Europe.

One wonders how carefully Scubapro checks that. When you call in with a warranty issue on a thousand dollar item, are they going to put you on hold and scour the database looking for a reason to deny coverage? I have no idea.

I bought my Sol from the same Spanish Co. online (Scubastore.com) for a great price, and scubapro states that it's under full warranty. I told them I bought it on vacation. The Sol's price is even lower now! I paid $1100 now it's $958!!! Dollar must be getting stronger.

My transmitter is directly attached to the 1st stage. But, I've never lost the signal for any significant amount of time. Usually, If I notice that it's lost signal, I just simply put the computer up near the transmitter and I get the signal back. Losing the signal is not a very common occurrence.

I thought about putting the transmitter on a short hose to keep anyone from trying to lift my rig by the transmitter, but the shortest off-the-rack HP hose I could find was 6". I'd prefer not to have my transmitter flopping around on a 6" hose.

Did you look at this hose?

Uwatec Transmitter Hose Connection. Instruments Loose instruments, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

:D

No. I didn't run across anything like that. Pretty cool. I'm still concerned about the length though. At 4" (6" w/transmitter attached) there would still be enough flop in the hose to allow the transmitter to hit the tank (or possibly the back of a head) on a back-roll or when the equipment's being moved around. I've never seen a hose attached to a transmitter or tried it myself, so all of this is just speculation. Maybe someone who's done it can set me straight. What I was hoping for was to find a hose that was just small enough to prevent lifting, but didn't flop a lot.

Last edited:
No. I didn't run across anything like that. Pretty cool. I'm still concerned about the length though. At 4" (6" w/transmitter attached) there would still be enough flop in the hose to allow the transmitter to hit the tank (or possibly the back of a head) on a back-roll or when the equipment's being moved around. I've never seen a hose attached to a transmitter or tried it myself, so all of this is just speculation. Maybe someone who's done it can set me straight. I was hoping for was to find a hose that was just small enough to prevent lifting, but didn't flop a lot.
I was on a charter with a guy who put his Vytec transmitter on short HP hose probably 6" long, which was ziptied to his BC inflator hose to keep it from flopping around.

I was on a charter with a guy who put his Vytec transmitter on short HP hose probably 6" long, which was ziptied to his BC inflator hose to keep it from flopping around.
That's definitely an idea worth exploring, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom