Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The slightest motion sends it off in either direction by 15-20 degrees. Even walking carefully on flat ground I cannot perform a simple compass course; the compass turns every attempted course into a spasmodic sawtooth. The dampening effect of oil-filling a mechanical compass should be simulated in the compass display firmware. Perhaps a root-mean-squared dampening of data samples... whatever... I expect better from this very expensive device. I will borrow or rent a functional compass to complete my PADI navigation course. Very disappointed. The rest of the computer is quite nice.

Probably 5 or 6 times over 30 or so dives since I got the SOL...

Regards,
<TED>

How frequently did that happen over XX period of time?

If it happened that much to you, something else is wrong. Do you get it right back when you hold your hand up to get it near the sender?

<TED>

Couple of quick thoughts.

Cutting the wrist strap. Remember that there is a slot to slide excess strap through. On dry suit cold water dives I have little excess, on tropical, quite a bit.

Strobes and Signal Loss. Probably 60% of my dives are with powerful strobes (twin Ikelite 125's), and I have never had a signal loss. A year or so back I tried to run down specific examples of individuals who had lost signals on AI computers due to strobes, and it was exceedingly rare.

Cheers,

Dan

Do you get it right back when you hold your hand up to get it near the sender?<TED>

Nope, not immediately. And I was literally holding my wrist behind my head to try and get it as close to the transmitter as possible.

Still don't have it back from Scubapro/Uwatec and I leave for Mexico again on Saturday. LDS has loaned me an Aladin Nitrox Z for the trip. Hope to have more luck with it...

Finally got to use my Sol for a week on Roatan, and it was great. I did lose pressure signal on occasion, but it always came back. I seemed to have most of the problems while using my video camera, so it could be related to my hand position relative to the tank sending unit. Another diver was using a different AI computer, and said he lost signal typically a couple of times during each dive also.

Anyone have any idea if the price is going to come back down at diveinn? it is at 1230 or so now for sol with transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom