G260 carbon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I have now and it tends to slip around the mouthpiece and comes loose. I saw the plastic ends in the photo and wondered if those were available to try and keep the knots tight and in place. I am not interested in putting anything under the ziptie at this point. However, I do appreciate you taking the time to explain this, I had found it last year when my rubber necklace failed finally.
Use a second zip tie and everything is secure:

Attachments

• Bungee necklace.jpg
    Bungee necklace.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 42
I have no issues with slippage at all. Make sure you pull knots tight, they won't move if you do. Also make sure you're using the thick bungee.

This is what I have now and it tends to slip around the mouthpiece and comes loose. I saw the plastic ends in the photo and wondered if those were available to try and keep the knots tight and in place. I am not interested in putting anything under the ziptie at this point. However, I do appreciate you taking the time to explain this, I had found it last year when my rubber necklace failed finally.
there:Dive Rite Regulator Necklace

:) Yes, but, there is the but ----. I lost my necklace once (and later found it in my bag) but was in a dive shop that had the Dive Rite necklace so grabbed one until I could tie up another. Then I decided I rather like the little triangular shaped plastic sleeves that only need an overhand knot and are more compact in use. Yeppers, make your own with the fisherman slip knots and a piece of bungee material. Oh, and the Dive Rite necklaces come in colors like pink and blue in addition to Darth Vader black :stirpot:.

I have one of the DR ones. I specifically don’t like the plastic parts. I do like that it is red, though. But, I never use it.

I have no issues with slippage at all. Make sure you pull knots tight, they won't move if you do. Also make sure you're using the thick bungee.

I agree with everything except that last sentence. I use 1/8” bungee for mine. Haven’t found a reason to use the thicker stuff.

Even with the thin bungee, if I tie the knots tight and really pull it tight around the mouthpiece it doesn’t slip.

I use thicker as when I began using this configuration around 20 years ago and DGX was my "LDS" it was what they suggested. As it works so well I never felt the need to try anything else.

As I said earlier, if your knots are slipping you've simply not pulled them tight enough, there is no need for any additions to the bungee to prevent it from slipping.

Except it's not a carbon fibre face plate it's carbon fibre wrap or carbon fibre placed over plastic. Misleading or lying I'm not sure which. But yes, it's lighter than the standard G260 face plate.
The Scubapro G260 carbon covers are indeed real carbon fiber. The inner cup and threaded section that screws into the box are the same polyamide material as the rest of the regulator as is the purge button retainer. But the outer cover, that appears to be carbon fiber, is 100% carbon fiber.

In terms of durability a friend has the A700 carbon fiber set and he is (very) rough on his equipment. The covers are beginning to show the abuse as I can see some fraying where the clear is worn down to the carbon fiber. I should offer to shoot them in a 2K clear for him to renew them :wink:.

I only have about 20 dives thus far on my carbon G260s and they are holding up fine, look like new, mint! But while I use my equipment as intended, I am known to baby expensive bits. I have not yet but I may shoot a 2K clear over them as a preventative wear/sacrificial coating that can be renewed in another 20 or 30 years or so :wink:.

Only 20 dives on them you ask? Well, my problem is that my Mark 2 Evo with two G250s in hydrodip faux carbon fiber and clear coated with 2K urethane is becoming my all time favorite regulator and breaths so smooth and easy even at the limits of recreational depths that I cannot pry them from my mouth to even use the poor G260/Mark 17 Evo :(.

The Scubapro G260 carbon covers are indeed real carbon fiber. The inner cup and threaded section that screws into the box are the same polyamide material as the rest of the regulator as is the purge button retainer. But the outer cover, that appears to be carbon fiber, is 100% carbon fiber.
On the carbon fiber A700 second stage, the entire cover is carbon fiber...it is an integral component where the metal cover was replaced by a carbon fiber replacement piece. I was expecting the G260 purge cover to be a solid piece of carbon fiber like on the A700. In reality it is a very thin shell of carbon fiber and is there for looks only, no other functional purpose in my opinion. That is the striking difference I see between these 2 carbon fiber second stages and it left me a bit disappointed.

On the carbon fiber A700 second stage, the entire cover is carbon fiber...it is an integral component where the metal cover was replaced by a carbon fiber replacement piece. I was expecting the G260 purge cover to be a solid piece of carbon fiber like on the A700. In reality it is a very thin shell of carbon fiber and is there for looks only, no other functional purpose in my opinion. That is the striking difference I see between these 2 carbon fiber second stages and it left me a bit disappointed.
The A700 uses four screws (!) to hold the cover on. The G260 cover threads into the box for retention. The carbon fiber would not be good for that purpose therefore the outer carbon fiber cover is part of an assembly of three pieces, the purge and purge cup with spring, the carbon fiber cover and the threaded retention base. You say there is no functional purpose, we disagree, the cover holds the purge button and purge button cup and spring which snaps into the threaded base.

But whatever, you like the A700 and I much prefer the G260 for numerous reasons (the four screws being one, the soft purge cover another and several more) thus we see the cover assemblies different light. I like the way Scubapro did the G260 carbon fiber cover but would have preferred they kept the retained slip washer of the standard G260 cover instead of a separate slip washer that tabs into the box. Basically, I prefer the CE 156 if I want a metal second stage, which gives me an idea to make a carbon fiber purge cover for the 109/156. It would be relatively easy to do, might be a winter project.

Back
Top Bottom