Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Since I don't see a PADI or SSI forum, I ask this... do you need Fundies to consider yourself a DIR diver? I know you can't get the upper level GUE certs without it, but that's not the point.

fishboy,
there is a group of us right here on Oahu, operating right out of Island Divers. I would say that you don't "need" the fundies class, but taking it or the essentails class sure helps eliminate some of the myths that get propogated through out the internet and eliminate some bad habits that you may not be aware of.

Snowbear:
Anyone can consider themself a DIR diver.... in fact, most of the ones who do have never taken a GUE class :11:
Of course. You need to take the class to figure out you're not DIR. eyebrow

onfloat:
fishboy,
there is a group of us right here on Oahu, operating right out of Island Divers. I would say that you don't "need" the fundies class, but taking it or the essentails class sure helps eliminate some of the myths that get propogated through out the internet and eliminate some bad habits that you may not be aware of.
I'm taking my Tec classes through Jo right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for the label, I'm just curious about the Fundies/DIR mindset.

Fishboy,

I took the DIR-F class recently. I'd read a fair amount online, read the books, and done most of the gear mods prior to the class. However, the class really added another level of understanding that I couldn't get from outside study, especially in the teamwork areas and the random comments from the instructors. I highly recommend a formal class for the experience and feedback, just my 2 cent.

Tom

Tom
Since you just went thru the class, what would you say are the most important things to have down pat before taking the class? I know that buoyancy and trim are very important, but is there anything else that doesn't stand out as obvious that in hindsite you wish you had practiced more of?

I know I'm not Tom, and I took the class six months ago, but here's my answer: I wish my buoyancy control had been better and that I'd had a better handle on my weight distribution so I could have stayed in trim better. Everything else was better taught in the class. Very small things make a BIG difference -- for example, I struggled mightily with clipping off until my Fundies instructor showed me a different way to hold the hose and clip, and all of a sudden, it was easy.

The thing about Fundies is that it really is FUNDAMENTALS -- there's nothing exotic or advanced about it. It's buoyancy, trim, good propulsion techniques, and good situational awareness. It chagrins me that it has taken me six months of practice to bring those so very basic skills up to standard.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom