DIR- GUE Fundies in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slightly back to part of the topic, I'd say the instructor is important, but slightly less so at Fundies than later. Fundies is a skills and knowledge course with more prescriptive requirements to get you to a standard on the GUE ladder. It's easier with someone you can get on with, but you'll still come away with a lot even with a more challenging relationship.

I've done a class with John Kendall above (CCR1), and would say he's made a tough class as good as possible, with that extra few little touches that really were the icing on the cake that help contextualise the post course diving. I've recommended his classes to others based on that, and would do so again, knowing how our class had 3 very different learners and we all took a lot away. He also has good taste in rum. I've not met the other Mx based instructors, deep wrecks are more my thing, so not really a Mx thing.

I'd say it's worth a conversation with potential instructors and see who gives you a sensible conversation and explanation of how they approach things, then see who suits you best. For Fundies I literally picked the one who had an address in the same county, because that seemed like as good a filter as any. If you have any friends who've done classes with multiple GUE instructors, ask them for a suggestion of someone who'd suit you.

I'm sure you'll have a good time regardless,
Rich

+1 for Emoke

I'm interested in taking a GUE Fundamental course this winter and love that there are so many options in Mexico.

My goal is to be a better diver and learn, not to start down a tech path. I'm coming from PADI/AOW with just under 100 dives, about a third of which have been backplate wing and long hose primary. I'd be doing the class in singles with wetsuit if possible since I'm not certified for drysuit or experienced with doubles, and since I don't plan to go the tech route where I'd need those skills. it makes more sense to me to train in the gear I'd be using most.

I also don't have a buddy coming along so would also need to find an open slot in a class.

It sounds like from the feedback here that pretty much all of the GUE Instructors would work but wanted to see if anyone here has any specific recommendations for instructors/facilities/lodging that is near the training area/etc.

Thanks!
Pat
You might want to take a look at the GUE center in Bonaire. Below are the upcoming Fundies classes:
Fundies - Bonaire.jpg

You might want to take a look at the GUE center in Bonaire.
Thanks, not interested in Bonaire though. The logistics of flights with several connections and more the 2X the price, plus higher lodging and food costs make it less desirable for taking a class. Cancun flights are quick and cheap, and lodging and food are way less too.

Thanks, not interested in Bonaire though. The logistics of flights with several connections and more the 2X the price, plus higher lodging and food costs make it less desirable for taking a class. Cancun flights are quick and cheap, and lodging and food are way less too.
Is there a nonstop to Cancun from Asheville?

The "problem" with Mexico is you'll get bitten by the cave bug. hehehe

I guess you ruled High Springs out, too, though that would be a straightforward drive down from Asheville. But Mexico is fun, warm in the winter, and the food is good. Can't argue with that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom