DIR- GUE Fundies in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend taking a moment to actually interview the different instructors to see if there is one you mesh better with than the others. I've had the pleasure of training with a half a dozen GUE instructors and while the courses have a unified set of standards, each instructor brings something different to the table in their background, teaching style, personality, etc.

I found I learned better from certain instructors than others, but I have friends who really mesh well and learn well from some of the ones I didn't learn as well from. I joke that my favorite instructor's classes are 40% skills, 40% being a thinking diver, and 20% lessons on life, love, and whatever other topics we cover in the winding, light hearted, 100% authentic time we spend together. That works well for me and my massive ADHD - others prefer a more structured program.

If you do decide to interview instructors, don't just email a list of questions, but give them a call. Most will be happy to chat with you, and it will be equally beneficial to them as they'll learn a little about their prospective student as well!

Laurent assisted Chris LeMaillot on some days of my Cave 2 class, and I could see how he would be a great instructor.

I have never had an issue with the atmosphere/vibe at ZG, but I respect @rddvet 's opinion. My impression is that maybe the vibe was just amazing years ago, and now it's simply "good." Good is still pretty great to me.

As much as I enjoyed my one stay at Third Dimension last winter, and I got to meet Kelvin and Anabel, I don't think my experience left me with any preference between them and ZG.

You’ll never hear a bad word about the group at 3D. You’ll walk away with excellent skills and a group of people you’ll want to go back and see over and over again.
We met Kelvin 12 years ago when he was stuck doing some guided dives with us through Protec. We’ve been good friends with him and his wife Anabel since. He is an honest instructor. When you suck he will be honest and tell you in a way that’s motivating and makes you want to be better. You don’t want an instructor who’s a cheerleader. You want someone who is equally willing to tell you exactly what you’re doing both right and wrong.
I know I cant say enough good things about everyone there and I have a suspicion you will hear the same from others.
Clearly zero gravity is an option but over the years it’s become a sterile, non inviting place to go. You will not be treated poorly there and you will get exceptional instruction. But there’s a clear reason so many people are choosing 3D over zero g. It’s just the personal touches and friendly environment that makes 3 d different than zero g. Don’t take that as me speaking poorly of zero g. It’s just not the same place it was 10 years ago imo.
+1 on this. Kelvin and Ivo are both great, you can't go wrong with either one of them.

Laurent assisted Chris LeMaillot on some days of my Cave 2 class, and I could see how he would be a great instructor.

I have never had an issue with the atmosphere/vibe at ZG, but I respect @rddvet 's opinion. My impression is that maybe the vibe was just amazing years ago, and now it's simply "good." Good is still pretty great to me.

As much as I enjoyed my one stay at Third Dimension last winter, and I got to meet Kelvin and Anabel, I don't think my experience left me with any preference between them and ZG.
Honestly I’ve never felt vibes (good or bad) at any dive shop really but I don’t hang in them either. They’re places of business and to stay in business I’d expect they have friendly staff, knowledgeable techs and treat the customers well. This comment isn’t a reflection of any dive shops mentioned here…just a generic one I guess.

I'd recommend taking a moment to actually interview the different instructors to see if there is one you mesh better with than the others. I've had the pleasure of training with a half a dozen GUE instructors and while the courses have a unified set of standards, each instructor brings something different to the table in their background, teaching style, personality, etc.

I found I learned better from certain instructors than others, but I have friends who really mesh well and learn well from some of the ones I didn't learn as well from. I joke that my favorite instructors classes are 40% skills, 40% being a thinking diver, and 20% lessons on life, love, and whatever other topics we cover in the winding, light hearted, 100% authentic time we spend together. That works well for me and my massive ADHD - others prefer a more structured program.

If you do decide to interview instructors, don't just email a list of questions, but give them a call. Most will be happy to chat with you, and it will be equally beneficial to them as they'll learn a little about their prospective student as well!
This is so spot on, I reposted it. I've had the opportunity to take GUE classes with 4 different GUE instructors (some were interning), each one was uniquely "different" within the standards of GUE. All of mine were excellent, but I really meshed with 2, and one of them became one of my best friends to this day.

I'm very biased here :)
I'll be in mexico with Zero Gravity from mid october onwards. There is also Laurent at ZG who regularly is teaching Fundamentals.
I'm not sure about this "Sterile, non inviting place", I've always felt very welcome at ZG, and this is one of the reasons I'm going there full time. There is a regular stream of GUE divers coming through as well.

Thanks
John
Not saying that ZG is a bad place just to be clear. And I would take courses through ZG, as i've wanted to take one of your courses.
My point is it used to be a place to walk in and get greeted by familiar faces, have some good conversation, and some enjoyment. Over the years that has slowly faded. This is from obviously my own perspective, but also those I know that frequent the area. There's a reason 3D is doing so well. One is Kelvin and Ivo are great instructors. But a part of it is dealing with them is easy, and everyone has a good time. I don't think I know many people walking away from 3D saying it was a great course, but the environment and camraderie was poor. It's quite the opposite. Since that is getting a little less common at ZG, 3D is thriving.
I've never felt unwelcome at ZG. It's just changed.

I My impression is that maybe the vibe was just amazing years ago, and now it's simply "good." Good is still pretty great to me.
This is exactly it.

Not talking badly about ZG. Things change over time. Camraderie is a big part of the GUE community and its faded some at ZG

Honestly I’ve never felt vibes (good or bad) at any dive shop really but I don’t hang in them either. They’re places of business and to stay in business I’d expect they have friendly staff, knowledgeable techs and treat the customers well. This comment isn’t a reflection of any dive shops mentioned here…just a generic one I guess.
Some shops you leave wondering why the hell you went there, some you leave thinking it was a nice place, and others you leave with some good vibes about the people there and want to go back time and time again. Protec tulum was one of those places for many years for me.

I'm very biased here :)
I'll be in mexico with Zero Gravity from mid october onwards. There is also Laurent at ZG who regularly is teaching Fundamentals.
I'm not sure about this "Sterile, non inviting place", I've always felt very welcome at ZG, and this is one of the reasons I'm going there full time. There is a regular stream of GUE divers coming through as well.

Thanks
John
Agreed. ZG and 3D are both great imo. I’ve had great conversations with both Chris and Fred from ZG and my first time down to Mexico that helped me get connected with people do the dives I was looking too.

That’s great feedback. Thank you for taking the time to talk about both as someone who has experience with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom