Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the info, you have been thru the class and that is what matters. Thanks for the advice.

Chris.

1amphibian:
Tom
Since you just went thru the class, what would you say are the most important things to have down pat before taking the class? I know that buoyancy and trim are very important, but is there anything else that doesn't stand out as obvious that in hindsite you wish you had practiced more of?

I would say being able to stop yourself from going forward without flapping hands. You dont have to have the full back-kick, but all the drills that are done facing your buddy are way way easier if both of you can stay in place without flapping arms around or pushing off of each other.

limeyx:
I would say being able to stop yourself from going forward without flapping hands. You dont have to have the full back-kick, but all the drills that are done facing your buddy are way way easier if both of you can stay in place without flapping arms around or pushing off of each other.

I've been very concious about arm flapping since I started diving again. Makes sense to keep working to make sure that it is not done, thanks!!

1amphibian:
I've been very concious about arm flapping since I started diving again. Makes sense to keep working to make sure that it is not done, thanks!!

Oh, and if you want the new "Tech" pass then get comfy with the canister light and being able to reach your valves in doubles since they are needed for that level of pass.

The basic dilemma of DIRF is this: If you don't get the right gear and practice beforehand, then it's difficult to pass, and you'll have to return later to get the pass, which may be difficult for some people (one guy in my DIRF class was from China - it was his second time). On the other hand, it's hard to practice kicks and drills that you haven't been taught yet. You can watch the clips available on the net and try to learn them from them, or maybe buy the 5thD-X DVD's, but you may end up doing things wrong and having to unlearn things.

Anyway, it's your call. Ideally you would have access to a DIR trained friend who could prepare you a little bit if you don't want to do the course twice. The difficult skills for me were the backwards kick and staying in one spot while doing some of the the drills - the surf didn't help either. Also make sure you can reach your valves and maybe take 5 minutes each morning to do stretching exercises. If you have problems with swimming or breath-hold swimming, then practice those too.

Ok, In my opinion, the ONLY thing you REALLY need to have solid for Fundies is your buoyancy. Trim can be worked on in the class. Everything else builds from there. You can't do the ascents, descents, or S-Drills if you're all over the ocean. Of importance is the ability to stay still in the water. If you can maintain yourself in the water vertically (Buoyancy) and horizontally (fin control), while task loading, you will be miles ahead of most people I have talked to in preparation for the class. There is nothing to "practice wrong" in those two skills. The rest is just muscle memory. Frog, back-kick, s-drill, etc. Just muscle memory.

Staying still in the water is STILL the most difficult thing for me to do, though I am improving constantly.

Great advice, thanks! One advantage I do have is living in Fl, and better yet, my daughter lives with her grandparents exactly 20 minutes from Ginnie Springs. So I have access to that whole area pretty easily and often.

I feel it will be easy to find and watch the DIR divers there and pick up on what they are doing and ask them questions as well.

As I am purchasing a good moneys worth of gear at EE, I think they would be pretty open to a discussion of some of the items, they were great last time I was up there.

Thanks again.

You won't find many DIR divers at Ginnie Springs. Trust me, I've looked. If you want to get in the water and work on some things prior to class, I'll dive with you at Troy and try to show you some of the things I have learned.

I'm no instructor, and I am a *TRUE* newbie diver, but I did have a pretty good DIRF instructor, and I live 1.5hrs from Ginnie/Troy Springs.

Also, while I like the guys at EE, and while Halcyon makes some good gear, there are lots of sources for good dive gear, and not all of it is sold at the premium that they charge at EE. You're in Tampa, check out Burt Wilcher's shop TAS. Also check with Jakub at Golem Gear. Both of those guys run good shops and can help you out locally.

Thanks, I'd like to take you up on the offer to dive. I did check out TAS's website, and know right where they are. Appreciate the info. Though the only things I'm looking to get from EE are the backplates and wings, and a scout light, perhaps their wetnotes if there are worth the almost 50 bucks that they want for them. All of the regs and canister lights are going to be purchased locally.

There are many options for a BP/W. Golem is near you and is a TERRIFIC option. I only wish they had donut wings. You could get a DSS setup, which would be cheaper and just as good. You could also get an Oxycheq setup. Another Florida vendor with a great reputation and quality gear. And this is not a bash of Halcyon. I have a Halcyon BP/W. Well at least ONE wing.. :)

The Scout is a good light. I've got one of those too. Check out the Gulftex site as the photon is also a great light.

The wetnotes are worth the money. Sorry to everyone else, but I've looked at just about everybody's and the Halcyon one is the best, hands down.

What regs are can light are you going with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom