Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is so much better about the $50 Halcyon wetnotes than the $15 DiveRite wetnotes? (not arguing--just curious :))

for the can light, I like the Salvo 4.5amph 10watt hid, from what I have been reading, they seem to have the fewest problems.

As for regulators, I am leaning toward the newer Apeks XTX100's with either a 50 or 40 as backup, the other option is the SP Mk25/s600.

Going to check out TAS today, will let you know what I think when I get back home tonight.

SparticleBrane:
What is so much better about the $50 Halcyon wetnotes than the $15 DiveRite wetnotes? (not arguing--just curious :))

I use the dive rite ones and they work fine. They just dont have a nice little bungee going around them. O well, I can deal with not having a bungee and saving $35.

SparticleBrane:

Ok, obviously just my opinion, but the things I like about the Halcyon wetnotes are:

1. Has elastic band to keep secure.
2. Has loop to secure in pocket
3. Has built in bookmark
4. Has provision to store writing utensil inside
5. *Has clear window on the outside*

For me, #5 is the biggie. It's SO convenient to store a table your dive plan, a site map, or other things there. It seems such a simple thing, but when you realize that no one else has this inexpensive feature, it's mind boggling.

My money is not your money. Maybe these features aren't worth $50 to you. I know the Ritchie Notes aer $15 and thats probably good enough. Golem's wetnotes are nice too and pretty cheap.

Go with what makes YOU feel good. :)

See, and there you go! First hand experience that refutes my opinion! :wink:

Good to see you safe Jakub. When are you releasing a Donut 40-45# wing?

Ok, just got home from TAS, first things first

1, very nice people there, very helpful and friendly, make you feel welcome sort of folks
2, nice gear, spent some time looking at backplates as my girlfriend is what you might call tiny (4'11" 100 lbs) so they are having to call and see if there is a smaller backplate for her (though not sure if this is going to be an issue at all, right now, just a percieved possible one)
3, played with the Salvo lights, ok I'm sold on those, seriously tough lights and at a good price.
4, not sure if I am ready to go with the Golem gear, still leaning toward the Halcyon bp/w setup, though more reasearch to follow.

Will definately do some business with TAS, thanks for pointing me toward them!

Something you may want to consider. There are several manufacturers of backplates that make small versions. I belive FredT is one of them, but DSS (who's owner is a regular here) also makes a small version that would be PERFECT for your GF.

http://deepseasupply.com/page7.html

I used to date a girl about the same size as yours (about 104#) so I know what it's like! :) "Do you have this in a size zero?" LOL!

I hear ya..and every shoe is a high heel, have to shop in the jr's section... finding scuba gear for her has proven quite challenging at times...

Thanks again, i'll check them out for her backplate, also going to call back as TAS was going to call Oxycheck for me tomorrow and get the height of their small backplate.

Personally, I like the storage pak on the H plate.. and the fit / finish was better (no sharp edges).

I have a Dive Rite plate as well, and needed to secure my smb on the side of the wing. Dive Rite SMB came with a sleeve..

The storage pak is much nicer.. just my opinion..

I used to have the dive writes (wet notes equivalent) but lost those...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom