Full foot fins: Excel vs. Superchannel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... I was wondering on page 1...is Superchannel really better than Avanti Excel?... by page 3 I still have the same question in my head.....

Read the chart HERE. Decide for yourself. Also, be aware that there are evaluations for two types of Superchannels shown in the chart, open heel and full foot. Interestingly, all three full foot models tested did really well in the objective tests. You are left to decide what you mean by "better than." Does the evaluation include price? I bought a pair of tomato and black colored Superchannels open heels because I like the color; because I found a brand new pair available from LeisurePro on sale for $60; because the objective tests showed them to be better than average; and because I could swap my homemade spring straps from my old fins to the new. Those 4 factors all went into my personal equation as to which fins are "best." I will say also, that if I did only boat dives in warm water, I'd get the full foot fins for sure.

Thanks Imorin - that was by far the most objective opinion! How do you like them?
They are exactly as I expected - The color is great! (my emphasis on fin color reflects my view of the entire issue re which fins are "best."

Imorin, thanks for the chart. But this chart is also taken from the same link in my first message on this thread. I am looking for a user comment to decide if the result of this test is true or not (I wish you had tried the avanti excel to make a comparison :( )

Cuz I don't have absolute confidence on magazine tests like Dan.

So... I was wondering on page 1...is Superchannel really better than Avanti Excel?... by page 3 I still have the same question in my head.....

I am looking for a user comment to decide if the result of this test is true or not (I wish you had tried the avanti excel to make a comparison :( )

Did you guys notice post #22. I have used both and witnessed both in use by many, many divers.

Yes, for most divers the Superchannels are better, but it has also been shown that the differences in their product line are not always in line with the price difference. For many divers cheap Avanti's are just as good as expensive Avanti's.

Oh, I think I missed that message between your discussion with Dan :) Thanks halemano.

But why did you say "for most divers"? In other words, in what way do you think Superchannels are better than Excels?

As I said in my first message, by just looking at the fins, it seems to me that superchannels may be better at maneuverability, but excel seems stiffer (especially at the foot pocket-blade connection part) and faster. I couldn't believe that supercahnnels offer more thrust and speed when I saw the results, and wanted to get a few user reviews. Can you make a comparison just on this thrust and speed point?

They are exactly as I expected - The color is great! (my emphasis on fin color reflects my view of the entire issue re which fins are "best."

I am in full agreement agreement - I think colour could be a very important factor:hm:

Seriously....From what I am hearing Excells are a little stiffer than Superchannel - so it's down to personal preference.... O prefer stiffer fins because I dive in currents a fair bit and find that stiffer fins help.... I tried Scubapro splits in a current and it almost felt like I had no fins on at all...and the less said about the flip fins debarcle the better.... so I'm getting some Excels... because I like the silver ones :eyebrow:

But why did you say "for most divers"? In other words, in what way do you think Superchannels are better than Excels?

As I said in my first message, by just looking at the fins, it seems to me that superchannels may be better at maneuverability, but excel seems stiffer (especially at the foot pocket-blade connection part) and faster. I couldn't believe that supercahnnels offer more thrust and speed when I saw the results, and wanted to get a few user reviews. Can you make a comparison just on this thrust and speed point?

Stiff does not always mean more thrust; It depends on where the stiffness is. Each persons finning technique is different; some will prefer the "feel" of Excels over the "feel" of Superchannels. If you got hit in the face by my Gara 2000 blade you would say it is way stiffer than any scuba fin, but when I am standing waist deep in mild surge the fin tip regularly touches my shin, so it also has way more flex.

The Excel is shorter measuring from the toes to the tip of the blade but the spec page shows more thrust area, evidently counting some of the foot pocket as thrust area. The Excel also claims to have O.P.B (optimized pivoting blade) which actually means it flexes more than their non O.P.B. models.

This O.P.B. is much like the way a free dive fin flexes, and like I typed earlier, not many scuba divers have the finning technique/strength to take advantage of free dive fin design.

Looking at the pictures from Mares web site, the Superchannel looks like it has a bigger blade area, even though the listed thrust area is slightly less than the Excel. I do not think any foot pocket area is used in that measurement. Comparing to the Quattro Power, the QP is much longer and has much more thrust area. (click on Tech Info for each page)

Blade Length; E-34cm, S-37cm, QP-45cm. Thrust area; E-740cm2, S-700cm2, QP-960cm2.

Considering the compact design of the Excel, it delivers pretty good thrust, but the Superchannel is bigger and sometimes bigger means more thrust.

LeisurePro sells the Supperchannels for $2 more than the Excels, and that sounds like about how much better they probably are in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom