Frustrating!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I went to do my deep dive for my advanced certification. But just couldn't do it. Not sure why I freaked.
Basically my mask kept flooding with water. We spent about half and hour trying to figure out why, because it would be fine then I'd go under and the neoprene hood would move under my mask and flood it with water...I hate that feeling (and the water is like 5 degrees-cold brrr). I cleared my mask etc...but you know it just wouldn't stay put.

I tried keeping going, even though it kept flooding, but ah. Frustrating. It managed to stay put to 6m. I can equalise m ears usually without squeezing my nose. But just couldn't this time. Tried squeezing my nose which let water into my mask again. So yeah. 1 hour 30 mins in water (at surface and some below) so got cold and decided to leave it to another time. So frustrating. Anyone have a reason for why m mask kept leaking? :(

Anyways, didn't leave empty handed. Got to do the peak performance buoyancy.

I was at a freshwater quarry, Capernwray in England. And the water was SO clear. Clear enough to make me freak out. I'm scared of heights. So, when in the water, I can pretty much see quite far down...and got that horrible vertigo feeling...anyone else get this?

...sssooo yeah. Going to get some more dives under my belt before attempting the deep dive again.

Don't rush to collect certs or push boundaries too fast. Go on easy, fun dives with a more experienced buddy to build your comfort in the water. Any "freak out" underwater could lead down the wrong road - so build comfort and skills.

5c = 41f :eek: For 90 minutes...?!

Don't push it so hard.

It sounds like you had a fit issue with either the hood or the mask.

Good on you for keeping your sprits up!

My guess would be that your hood was not on in its usual position or that it needs to be trimmed back. The other common problem is most people tighten a mask too much and end up making the problem worse not better. You could have had a combination of both, the hood broke the seal causing the initial problem then you tighten the mask to try to solve that and made it worse. I would also suggest that you put more hours in doing shallower dives until you are more comfortable with your equipment and being in the water. More hours in the water will serve you better in the long run then a fist full of C-cards. Take the time to master the skills you have learned before moving on to the next certification. Despite what everyone else says the first rule of diving is "If you panic you die" so you need to put in the hours to get more comfortable.

I had a similar problem while doing my deep diver course a while back. My mask was constantly flooding but only below 60 feet. I managed to go 80 feet and finish the dive by keeping my mask half-filled... well just below my eyes, and it was 39 degrees water. After that I had to buy another mask, it was a bad fit for me.
Vertigo used to be an issue for me too, but I think that time only corrected that feeling. Now it's something that I enjoy, just hanging there in the middle of nowhere. With better buoyancy you'll be more confident. You ain't gonna fall if you add air to your BC :wink:

You really need to be comfortable with what you're doing underwater, and this is extremely important if you're going to dive deep. If you get scared, there's a fair chance that w/o a fair bit of experience you're going to make a break for the surface. You need to stay at normal depths until you honestly have a reasonable expectation that you won't resond that way. I would suggest taking the deep dive gradually, making the far limit of you basic cert (I'd gues it's 18m) quite routuine, then trying a dive to only 22-24m. Make that depth at least familiar before going deeper. This is no race & you are supposed to be fun. Keep learning, but do it at a pace that still feels like you're having fun.

It's unfortunate that diving deep as become more common just because so many people take AOWD when they really just need more time in the water with a more experienced buddy. Unfortunately another class is frequently the only way they can continue learning. I suspect we have a lot of people certified to dive to AOWD levels (I guess that's about 30m) and doing the deep dives who haven't had the time to build up safe stress tolerance levels.

Thanks for the advice.
Yah I thought I need more experience. Which I will do, and gradually get used to it...not sure I want to go into such clear waters just yet, like it went from shallow to a big drop, or it looked like it. And being scared of heights well....

:) and also saving for a drysuit...:) boom!

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 01:49 PM ----------

I had a similar problem while doing my deep diver course a while back. My mask was constantly flooding but only below 60 feet. I managed to go 80 feet and finish the dive by keeping my mask half-filled... well just below my eyes, and it was 39 degrees water. After that I had to buy another mask, it was a bad fit for me.
Vertigo used to be an issue for me too, but I think that time only corrected that feeling. Now it's something that I enjoy, just hanging there in the middle of nowhere. With better buoyancy you'll be more confident. You ain't gonna fall if you add air to your BC :wink:

Oh yeah I know, but it feels like it, that horrible wobbly vertigo feeling in your stomach haha!

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 01:56 PM ----------

5c = 41f :eek: For 90 minutes...?!

Don't push it so hard.

I know long time...we were mostly on the surface, since I kept resurfacing. But yeah it is a very long time to be in water...i was surprised how warm I was in a wet suit too! Although the sun was shining directly on us when on the surface...didn't feel the cold until 90 mins hence why i wanted to get out.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 01:57 PM ----------

It sounds like you had a fit issue with either the hood or the mask.

Good on you for keeping your sprits up!

Musta been the hood.
I wore the mask with a different hood for my dry suit speciality. And a different one for this dive...must get a better fitting hood! I would have been fine with a bit of water. But the water just flooded in and it felt horrible! Also accidentally breathed in through my nose at one point with water in my mask...bad mistake oops!

When you get stressed out does your face do funny things? I know my face tenses up when I start to get stressed and my mask leaks like a sieve, If I smile it is even worse. You may not even be realizing it is happening but it sounds like you were not comfortable to start with.

If the mask had usually worked well for you pay particular attention to where the strap is resting on the back of your head. That angle of pull can make a big difference.

If there was a different hood involved then the face seal (if it has one) may need trimming or it may be fitting lose loose and catching an air bubble. It ay also be lacking a vent letting air acumulate. An air bibble in the hood will raise havock with mask fit.

If the mask was never right then perhaps it's time for another but we sure the strap is not too tight first.

IMO with less than 25 dives take your time. Being down in cold water with a squirrly mask and little experince is going to be a stressful and hollow experieince... at best. That deep dive can wait until you feel predictably comfortable and competent on the shallow dives.

Good job salvaging the day with PPB.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom