Frustrating!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I distinctly remembered our instructor saying that we should go for our AOW as soon as we were OPW. Didn't feel right at the time and the more we've dived I've come to see this "advice" as at best "all about the $$$" and worst DANGEROUS. Especially where they do AOW. It's in a great dive spot in Ontario (Tobermory) but cold as hell! Talking full 7mm suit, hood, gloves and a 7mm farmer john over top, probably top out at 30lbs+ lead. For my 5th or 6th dive? Are you serious?

It's true, the divers that are hooked early on tend to keep spending money...

Many people in Ontario do their OW in the heavy gear you describe, me included. Tobermory in early June for my OW 11 years ago was 39F. It's not necessarily something you switch to for AOW.

I must also add this shop had a dive in the Niagara river (down from the falls....)

Is that what they told you? We usually dive ABOVE the falls, but it is miles above the falls. We get out after drifting for about 45 minutes, and you can just climb up the shore easily anywhere - except the stairs - they're privately owned. It is an advanced dive, though, with a strong current, requiring the ability to avoid obstacles, staying away from the U.S. side despite the current pushing you that way (or the coast guard will be on you like a shot) and good buoyancy control in some very shallow areas. There is also an area called the washing machine that people go to for "fun" with converging currents and the dangers associated with them. Your mask can also be dislodged if you turn your face away from the current.

We will do be doing our AOW in the St Lawrence this summer and we all are around 50 dives now. There should be a minimum # of dives before you are allowed to do AOW, but I'm not holding my breath. Again it's your safety and nobody cares about it as much as you do, so be careful out there.

The St. Lawrence River has some fast moving current as well and most sites are advanced diving. There are a few calmer sites though, decent for training. There's no thermocline, and it's pretty warm in mid-to-late summer, up to 75F, even at depth.

As for the dive location I just assumed it was below the falls, my mistake. That shop did OW dives in Lake Simcoe. It's just that looking back we would not have been comfortable doing AOW right after OW in a more challenging environment.

What I didn't mention was our son who was/is still 11ys old. The shop new this (we did classes there) yet acted like this wasn't a typo!! Thanks for the info, sounds like a dive we would like to do once we've taken the drift diving course. Does the coast guard actively watch for wayward divers? Thankfully we found a much better shop (Aquarius), not as close but the instructor we have is a gem.

The right instructor is paramount. Once you have your AOW manual, you can learn most of what you need to know about the drift diving course in the chapter on drift diving; by asking questions; reading threads here; and listening to the dive briefing of wherever you go drift diving. IJS. :)

The coastguard is watching for anything/anyone wayword...

Back
Top Bottom