Freedom Plate poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric

It was just a thought and there may be no problem with setup on a rocking boat - I just was thinking of a way to get a repeatable setup, once the ideal position is found.

I like what I see and I am in for one.

I'm an engineer and always investigating possible additions/changes that might make things better, especially when there is only a verbal description - but sometimes they are not practical when you finally see the product.

Already have a Mach V Extreme with the camband slots and without the built-in-stay ready to install.

This plate looks ideal for my needs, I dig the simple/clean approach - Count me in.

One concern though... Judging by the pictures and the curved shape of the plate, it would seem that this could be a bit uncomfortable for someone with a particuarly slim waist, or a broad one for that matter. Can this be tweaked? I'm on the particularly slim end, and am picturing this rig wobbling on my lower back.

Lastly, I agree with whoever said keep the plate clean of stickers/adverts, looks slick as is and people ask more questions about the mysterious.

This plate looks ideal for my needs, I dig the simple/clean approach - Count me in.

One concern though... Judging by the pictures and the curved shape of the plate, it would seem that this could be a bit uncomfortable for someone with a particuarly slim waist, or a broad one for that matter. Can this be tweaked? I'm on the particularly slim end, and am picturing this rig wobbling on my lower back.

Lastly, I agree with whoever said keep the plate clean of stickers/adverts, looks slick as is and people ask more questions about the mysterious.
I shape each and every one of these by hand. It would be no trouble for me to do a special order with more or less curve, afterall I have to shape them anyway.
That is part of the reason I slimmed it down a little in the waist area from the last model. With this new version the waist bend is far less critical and that was part of the reason for the redesign, not that the old one was bad but this one is better.

To answer some concernes about holding the wing to the plate while assembling it:
I just recieved a new mach V via UPS yesterday and assembled the rig for the first time. Everything fit exactly like I hoped. One added bonus; the wing is held in place fine by the pressure of the roll control cushions squeezing on the cam bands holding them tight in the wing slot. The wing automatically lines up with the plate and the tank snaps down laterally right where it needs to be just by the design of the rail system. There is enough vertical adjustment between the plate wing and tank to suit any personal preference.

So the next step is to dive it and let other people dive it then make a final assessment.
I'm tentatively planning on being at the Breakwater in Monterey February 9th or 10th, weather dependant. If anyone in my area wants to try it PM me for details.

Thanks

Eric

Eric

What happens if you don't have the roll control cushions? I have the "middle" release of the wing - with camband slots but no roll control cushions - will this cause a problem?

Eric

What happens if you don't have the roll control cushions? I have the "middle" release of the wing - with camband slots but no roll control cushions - will this cause a problem?

No, it shouldn't make any difference. The roll control cushions I found out were just an added bonus but not really necessary on my plate. At first When I looked at them I though I was going to have to cut them off with a hot knife but decided before I do that I should try it and it worked beautifully.
I also tried my older Signature 30 wing and it worked great too so I think any wing will work on it.

I'm probably more guilty of drumming up interest in Eric's plate than most. I dived off of the Cypress Sea around Christmas and the plate drew a crowd.

There's still interest if you're going to build them.

I'll be doing some warm water trips this summer, and I'll be in the Florida Keys in July for Invasion 3. I'll be bringing my Freedom Plate and I'm sure there will be more interest in the plate after that.

Keep some in stock.
I know how you feel. Eric gave me a demo of his original plate for several months and I only got to dive it once. It was very difficult to get it back from the divers who wanted to "try it out". :)
When he came out with the second edition plate I bought one for my fiancee, who secretly ordered one for me as well. My favorite thing about the Freedom plates is having a steel 119 on my back, walking down the long trail to Marineland, surface swimming the 1/4 mile to the main reef and not even noticing the tank.

Eric,

What is the weight of the new plate? will you be offering it it both plain and polished (elite) like the old model? a price for each?

Cheers

Eric,

What is the weight of the new plate? will you be offering it it both plain and polished (elite) like the old model? a price for each?

Cheers

Depending on what thickness the rails are the plate will weigh between 3 lbs 8oz to 4 lbs.
The plate will be available in the standard finish which will be orbital sanded down to about 400 grit. This gives it a fairly nice sheen but not shiny and is more practical for regular use and all the scratches that develop over time are not as noticable with this finish. I'm hoping to keep those around $150 but I'm not sure yet.

If someone wants me to polish a plate out with the ultra elite mirror, I'll do it, but it's going to be a lot more money. In order to do that the plate has to be shaped and sanded to where all noticable surface flaws are gone then it needs to be polished with 3 different wheels and three different grades of rouge. This takes hours, and with the new plates there is a lot more tig welding that will be done and the weld distortion on the front side would have to be completely ground out flat and all the grinder marks would have to be sanded out in a succession of finer and finer sand papers to eliminate all the marks and flaws prior to polishing or else you will see all of them begin to stick out like a sore thumb as the shine develops. With the price of stainless now and how that offsets the labor involved in making one of these, in order for me to offer the elite like I used to I don't think I could stay competitive and it wouldn't be practical.

But heck, if someone wanted a premium ultra elite polished plate electroplated with 23 kt gold and every single flaw removed like a piece of fine jewelery and sold in a plush padded blue velvet engraved cedar box I could do that too but it would probably be in the thousands.

I'm kidding about the last one, just my sick sense of humor. ;^)

Eric

Darn, I was just about to order one with a big "N" engraved in the middle--lol.

N

Well, if you're not going to mirror polish them, can we at least get some kind of emblem on a little metal chain a'la Coach? Maybe "The Original Freedom Plate - Mark III" engraved into a credit card sized piece of thin steel? We could all become card carrying members!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom