Freedom Plate poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First off,

I want to thank everybody who got an Original Freedom Plate and believed in the project from the first time they tried on the rig and dove it. You guys are the fuel that keeps me going and also the primer that has made me decide to explore the idea of starting the project back up. There has been more interest than ever in the plate ever since people found out it was no longer being made, isn't that the way it always is?

I've been getting constantly hounded recently by people who have been seeing the plate around; on dive boats, at beaches, even in far away destinations like Bonaire I got a report from a friend that he was questioned about it several times while on a recent vacation. All this is very good news.

This all has gotten my wheels turning once again complete with the sleepless nights and day dreaming. I have already drawn up new plans for an even sleeker more streamlined plate which is roughly the same as the original plate except a few measurements have been tweaked to accomodate the new Oxycheq Mach V.

Depending on what I can get the material and initial laser cutting done for I'm hoping to be able to sell the plates for around $125 to $150 and a complete rig with a Mach V for around $425.
I wish I could sell the plate for less but stainless prices, I'm finding out, have soared through the roof.

I know many of you bought the close out plates for very cheap but there's no way I can sell these new plates for that price. Materials alone will be more than that.

My question and what I need to know is what do you think people will realistically be willing to pay for such an item.
If I put a few demo models together would anybody want to do a beach dive somewhere to try it out? Maybe I'll start up the demos in Monterey and Socal again. I know once people actually see it and try it they will be convinced.

I see can lights selling for upwards of $1500 and spring straps selling for over $50. Good regs are $600 plus, computers are rediculous, and finally I see conventional backplates selling for $150 plus.
Personally I don't think $125 to $150 is any big deal for a hand made Freedom Plate. The only thing I can see as a limitation would be the fact that you cannot use doubles on it, but then I figure most people already have a separate plate and wing all set up for that purpose.
Maybe some of those same people would like to have a Freedom Plate rig specifically designed for single tank minimalist diving.

They say scuba diving is a very expensive sport that attracts some of the the cheapest people in the world. I think there might be some truth in that, but I also see a lot of inconsistencies in how and where people spend their money for dive equipment. A plate will last virtually forever and may occasionally need the webbing replaced every ten years or so, why can't people justify the prices when other consumable and finite items seem like not such a deal when compared.
I need all the help I can get on this, please give me some feedback.
The last thing I want is to drop a ton of dough like last time and be left sitting on a bunch of plates that nobody wants or is willing to pay for.

You guys are the customers. Without you there is no business.
I need to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. Please don't hold back. Trying to be nice and sugar coating the truth does me absolutely no good.

Thanks

Eric

Eric,

I didn't know you stopped completely, but I did here that you were working on a newer plate for the Mach V.
I know I haven't emailed you about it, but I have basically been waiting for the new design to come out to purchase one.
I think it's like any other product. It's really about marketing and customer satisfaction. I think your product is unique, high quality and stylish enough that people will buy it. I always remember the saying, "Don't give up before the miracle." If you are getting a lot of positive feedback on your product, I think you should be diligent and continue pursuing that avenue (that is if it makes you happy).

I have three multiple conversations going on right now, so I hope what I just wrote made sense. :D

If you build it, they will come. :)

:zen:

I think there would be a good market for a dedicated singles plate. I have one of the jetharness flat plates and I like it. If I had known about the freedom plate when I bought mine I almost certainly would have bought one instead.

Love mine, I have dozens of dives on it and have shown it off all over. In fact, people--strangers--I dare say have tried to buy it from me and I would never leave it out of my sight lest it wander away. Without a doubt of all the equipment I use aside from my double hose regulator collection the Freedom Plate gets the most attention. In fact, after I climb out of the ocean with a double hose (which most think oddly is a rebreather) the jaws drop and then as soon as I swing the rig off and the Freedom Plate comes into view the draws drop again. I have taken to keeping drool cups handy. Yeah, yeah, pictures do not do it justice and when you see it for real it would make you drool too, even if you think it would not. It is comfortable, the stainless adds just the right amount of weight, it is solid feeling on my back, minimal and unobtrusive and just totaly perfect for a singles diver. With the Mach V 30 pound (or the smaller Mach V 18 pound wing) it is an amazing rig. I am sure it would do fine with several of the small wings, I prefer the OxyCheq but I am sure brand X would fit just fine and work fine too.

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg

I would pay 150 for it as long as it came with the STA or adapter (whatever your current design is). I think getting beyond 150 dollars moves it beyond what most would pay. The Freedom Plate is like the BMW of singles plates. I know there have been several people who got downright angry when I told them they were extinct. I would not mind seeing an aluminum lightweight version for travel. You might consider having a decal made to put in the center of the plate with a phone and website.

N

Love mine, I have dozens of dives on it and have shown it off all over. In fact, people--strangers--I dare say have tried to buy it from me and I would never leave it out of my sight lest it wander away. Without a doubt of all the equipment I use aside from my double hose regulator collection the Freedom Plate gets the most attention. In fact, after I climb out of the ocean with a double hose (which most think oddly is a rebreather) the jaws drop and then as soon as I swing the rig off and the Freedom Plate comes into view the draws drop again. I have taken to keeping drool cups handy. Yeah, yeah, pictures do not do it justice and when you see it for real it would make you drool too, even if you think it would not. It is comfortable, the stainless adds just the right amount of weight, it is solid feeling on my back, minimal and unobtrusive and just totaly perfect for a singles diver. With the Mach V 30 pound (or the smaller Mach V 18 pound wing) it is an amazing rig. I am sure it would do fine with several of the small wings, I prefer the OxyCheq but I am sure brand X would fit just fine and work fine too.

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg

I would pay 150 for it as long as it came with the STA or adapter (whatever your current design is). I think getting beyond 150 dollars moves it beyond what most would pay. The Freedom Plate is like the BMW of singles plates. I know there have been several people who got downright angry when I told them they were extinct. I would not mind seeing an aluminum lightweight version for travel. You might consider having a decal made to put in the center of the plate with a phone and website.

N

Well in that case, game on!
The new version will be between what you have and the full size original version. The one you have is actually a test model prototype and there was only three of those ever made. The original model was much wider and was more body type specific. It almost became a special order due to the degree of bend and shape in the sides.
You'll really love the new version for use with a DA Aquamaster, it's going to have slots much longer on the top so you double hose guys can drop the tank way down where you like it. The California lobster divers ride their tanks low too so they can squeeze way back into holes to get the bugs and not have the tank valve dragging on the top of the cave.
See, I thought of everything!

It'll have a small tank bracket at the bottom similar to the original but smaller so the mach V will fit over it.
There are no plans for a STA.

Did I mention I hate STA's?
No reason for one with this new model.

I'll post pics of the prototype with a mach V as soon as I get it made up.
I'll also have weight info for those people who are anal and account for every ounce of weight in their configuration.

Thanks man

I've always admired the beauty of your rigs Nimrod :)
No matter whether or not I get one, I think the plate is beautiful Eric and I do hope you put the newer model into production and be successful doing so :D

You have my attention. I dive Aquamasters and have heard good things about the plate from Nemrod before on his rig. I did not know you had stopped making them. If you start up again let the forum know at Vintage Double Hose . I am sure there would be some interest there.

Two questions:

1. How much negative buoyancy will the new plate provide?
2. Have you considered how to design the plate so that you get a compromise between keeping the tank as close in as possible and keeping the reg from banging into your head? This brings up the STA issue; I don't like them either and a plate designed for single tanks should, of course, not need a single tank adapter. But, some sort of optional spacer or mounting arrangement might be helpful, especially if the plate is lighter than the average SS plate.

Back
Top Bottom