Free tanks worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Safe" and "Can get filled" are two different things.

If your tank is "Safe" but you can't find anybody to fill it, it's not much good.

Terry

That's true. But around here, nobody seems to worry about it. At least I haven't had a problem and I have a 'just barely' 6061 tank (Mar '88).

But it is absolutely up to the fill station whether they want to fill the tank.

Richard

i would also suggest you have more than one shop look at them before spending money on viz or hydro. There are some unscrupulous shops that will either tell you they need further inspection in order to make $$ or will tell you they are worthless and offer to dispose of them.

Make an educated decision.

+1 :wink:

Elonna,

My brother lives near Cinci, and just got his tanks visual inspections done at Scuba Unlimited on Blue Ash Rd. The guy even did it while he waited. It was an outstanding deal and won't give you sticker shock. You should check it out.

if you can't use them, you can make cool lamps out of them. :) They sell the little kits at michaels for about $8. Im going to do it for my son with a couple of old fire service air bottles for his bedroom.

ANd if they are not ok PM me and I'll pay for shipping to get one. I have an idea for an outrageous set of wind chines! I work in a metal shop and have some 4" diameter 1/8 inch thick brass discs and some stainless and titanium wire. I'll have to hang it from some heavy support and it may take gale force winds to get em to "sing" but they will be unique!

Your neighbours must LOOOOOOVE you.

I have tanks in hand. They're definitely Aluminum, both Aqua Lungs and here is the information engraved on them:

Tank 1: CTC/DOT-3AL3000-S80 LL90 P269215 LUXFER 9A86

Tank 2: CTC/DOT-3AL3000-S67 LL90 UR1121 LUXFER 2A86

The oldest inspection tag on both of them is April 1989. Does that mean they are no good then?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/136170

Last edited:
I have tanks in hand. They're definitely Aluminum, both Aqua Lungs and here is the information engraved on them:

Tank 1: CTC/DOT-3AL3000-S80 LL90 P269215 LUXFER 9A86

Tank 2: CTC/DOT-3AL3000-S67 LL90 UR1121 LUXFER 2A86

The oldest inspection tag on both of them is April 1989. Does that mean they are no good then?

Thanks for the help.

ScubaBoard Gallery - Tanks21

OK, they're Luxfer Al 80s (S-80) made prior to Jan '88 so they are definitely 6351 alloy. You can verify this by looking at this chart:

Luxfer: Technical Bulletins: November 12, 2003

That 9A86 means first inspected (manufactured) Sept 1986. The other tanks was made in Feb 1986

That 'A' is actually something like an inverted V with an arrow aimed up.

As you may have learned, 6351 tanks are subject to sustained load cracking. As a result, even if they pass hydro, viz and eddy current, you may have a problem getting them filled.

I'm of the mind that the tanks are probably fine if they pass all the tests but if you can't get them filled, they make great table lamps.

I guess I would scrap them. Keep the valves and junk the tanks.

Richard

And if I was going to scrap them, I would do something with a file to mess up the threads so the tank obviously can't be used again. I might even drill a few holes through the sides. Big holes.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom