Free tanks worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was afraid of that. Drats, they look like they're in pretty good shape too, but definitely not worth my life or someone else's as they're filling them. Thanks, Richard.

I don't even see the S67 on the list. Did they quit making those all together?

Or wait, it says "Any current Luxfer models that do not appear on this list were never made from 6351 alloy in the first place and have always been made from Luxfer's proprietary 6061 alloy."

Could the S67 be ok maybe?

it could be, but if the shop won't service or fill pre-1989 AL tanks, they won't do any AL tank of that age.

I have 2 1987 Luxfer AL-100's. To my knowledge, the 100's have never had a single case of sustain use cracking, but that doesn't matter. Most shops in FL won't fill them.

Thanks Wayward Son, but the S100s are on the list of having been made with the 6351 aluminum until Aug of 87. So the shops don't look them up to see which aluminum is being used, they jut say anything prior to 1990 and won't fill?

yup, pretty much. they won't even fill older Catalina tanks, which were NEVER made from that alloy.

I think they figure it's just too much to try & keep up with, checking to be sure if each model is on a list or not. So they just use the year for the cutoff, makes it simple & easy.

now, the shops where you are may not care. lots of parts of the country it just isn't an issue.

But most of the shops in FL won't have anything to do with them.

Yeah, and doing more research looks like 67s aren't made anymore at all, so just not on the list. Too bad though, cuz they look nice :)

Do you think I can get someone to empty them and take the valves off for me?

But what if it cracks...lol
Aren't you supposed to put these in a trough of water or something? Not trying to start a debate, but I'd be a little concerned about safety issues...I'm a big worry wort and though I own tools I probably shouldn't :D

But if the valves are good...might as well keep them. I liked Nikwho's idea of making lamps out of them...paint a lampshade into a dive flag for each...and wallah!

I was afraid of that. Drats, they look like they're in pretty good shape too, but definitely not worth my life or someone else's as they're filling them. Thanks, Richard.

I don't even see the S67 on the list. Did they quit making those all together?

Or wait, it says "Any current Luxfer models that do not appear on this list were never made from 6351 alloy in the first place and have always been made from Luxfer's proprietary 6061 alloy."

Could the S67 be ok maybe?

OOPS! I missed the S67 part. You can just call Luxfer and they'll tell you. I called about my 1988 S80s (it's 6061).

Luxfer Gas Cylinders, USA
3016 Kansas Avenue, Riverside, California 92507, USA
Tel: +1 951 684 5110
Fax: +1 951 328 1117

They also have email support: Luxfer: Request Additional Support

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom