• Never took a class, for DIR

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • Never took a class, against DIR

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • It's a stupid argument and I dont care one way or the other

Votes: 64 53.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and Uncle Pug predates the invention of scuba...

:hiding:

Scuba once bubbled...
By the way Uncle Pug, am I one of these rototillers you're referring to? Its alright Uncle, I'm a big boy now I can handle it.

I think he's talking about me. :D

What can I say, it's a hobby.

FLL "always the inconoclast" Diver :eek:ut:

Marc

O-ring,

I think you may be over-pressurising Pug.

Are you sure he's not going to burst your O ring?

:D

O-ring,

I think you may be over-pressurising Pug.

Are you sure he's not going to burst your O ring?

I think he has the + rating...he's good for another 500 psi..

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
You are Black... You are Black....

I don't think I am.

DIR gives the impression of being a dictatorial system based on the commercial ambitions of Halcyonw which detracts from the obvious benefits that areas of the system have according to the type of activity involved. I am not attempting to impose a system which says my kit and methods are right and yours are wrong - full stop!

Anyway is this a five minute argument or a full half hour?

Ian Wigg once bubbled...
Anyway is this a five minute argument or a full half hour?

This thread has been going on two days. But , the argument is much old than that.

Jarhead

My two cents, for what its worth.

From what I have read and heard about DIR, its an evolution of principals.
Until 12 months ago, I had never heard of DIR, but I found it interesting that many of things that I do, and have done for many years have direct synergies with DIR/GUE methods. I think that is because most of what DIR is about is just "being safe".

I dive with a group of people who have never uttered the elustrious acronym, but all dive BP Harness, SP Jets etc etc. We all talk about our methods, and many people ask us about our gear on dives. No-one has ever said a bad word. As soon as I mention the word DIR in the USA........Stand back, this is gonna get Ugly.

Its a bit of a shame that it seems to be more of a Religion than a Technique.

Hard core fundamentalist DIR divers even have a problem with people (such a me) who unwittingly follow most DIR philososphy, but have never done the course, and dont follow it to the letter.

The general response to my style is "oh thats not DIR because you dont have spring straps", OK so its not perfect, but at least im trying, Unfortunatly I have no options as far as doing ANY GUE or DIR classes. So I do my best to learn better methods the best way possible.

I often here the line "there is no grey area, its DIR or nothing".
So what about my situation, I cannot follow ALL DIR methods on every dive for several reasons. So should I quit diving or go back to my AIRII, split fins and say to hell with DIR, I cant do it!

Of course I wont, Ill just keep on getting better, learning more and trying to improve my techniques. If in a few years time, if my style mirrors DIR, then so be it, I shall be knighted SIR DIR.
For those who want to poke sticks at me for not being 100% correct, Sorry for not joining your Cult.
For those DIR divers out there who have offered me alot of VERY good advice over the last 12 months, Thanks a HEAP.

Dave

:poking:

Aquamaniac
post says allot to me any way allot fo there practices i say i do however some equipment ect i dont , I still feel it should be a personal choice as far as some equipment and procedures .
yes i want every diver to do things safe and have good time since as sport divers thats what we are hear for just my two cents .
in general i feel they have some good practices and great ideas but there mental attitude as far as you need this equipment or it must absoulity be done this way i feel is the wrong way to do it !!!!!!!

DIR leaves plenty of room for presonal preference. You can prefer to dive that way, or not. It is that simple. Either you are DIR or your not. That does not mean you are going to die in the water. It simply means you are not DIR. Their is a reason for everything in DIR, and all the eqipment and the configuration is made to compliment something else. You don't have to dive DIR to be safe, some just feel that this is the safest configuration, and philosophy going. You saying that "you need this equipment or it must absoulity be done this way i feel is the wrong way to do it !!!!!!!", IMO is no different than a DIR diver saying that they are in fact Doing It Right. Whatever way you dive, try to do it as safe as possible.

(Sorry if this came across as a rant or harsh, it is not meant that way)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom