Warm water bibbed hood to protect against jellies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
You know how they say “moon jellies shouldn’t cause much of a reaction in most people” and “moon jelly nematocysts don’t penetrate the skin.”

Welp, I am that “certain person” who really reacts, and it just keeps getting worse. I’m to the point where I can’t even go in the ocean to swim without covering almost my entire body to protect again just the larvae.

Yesterday, I managed surface directly into the underside of a moon jelly. I do check before I surface, but this was 5 feet of water and a super bright sun obscured the jelly that seems to have found the perfect blind spot.

It hurt something fierce. The back of my neck has actual blistered burns. Also, some particles managed to make it into my wetsuit, so I’ve got dermatitis all down my back and around my sides. Along with my hands, and lower jaw.

I’m now trying to figure out some sort of protection. First choice: a bibbed ski mask that will fit a regulator and mask, lol.

Realistic choice: a 1mm bibbed hood. But the bib can’t be the puny thing that barely goes under the wetsuit, I’m wanting the size of the collar on a nun’s habit.

I do have a vest, and ironically, this was the only day I didn’t wear it, and didn’t see any jellies on our three hour dive until the culprit in question. But it’s cumbersome to get in and out of, and too hot for these late summer dives.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Pictures for the curious:

Attachments

• IMG_2473.png
    IMG_2473.png
    391.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 47
For your case, I'd probably go with something like a lycra Balaclava.......tucked into a wetsuit or rashguard.

Reactions: Doc
For your case, I'd probably go with something like a lycra Balaclava.......tucked into a wetsuit or rashguard.

I haven’t had luck with Lycra baclavas, unfortunately. They move too much in the water and will get the microscopic stingers stuck inside them, creating more stings.

Sorry to hear about the Sting!

We offer a rash guard hood that might be exactly what you are looking for:

We also have some inexpensive 2 mm neoprene hoods that are not too warm and would provide even better protection:

You’re a good candidate for a hooded vest underneath your wetsuit. And a Full Facemask. Should solve your issues.

I haven’t had luck with Lycra baclavas, unfortunately. They move too much in the water and will get the microscopic stingers stuck inside them, creating more stings.
I normally wear a chinstrap type hoodie. I have a lycra baclava for potentially stingy nights, I wear the hoodie over it and that helps prevent shifting. Obviously still leaves you vulnerable if the lycra is just not enough

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom