First Cold Water Post-dive Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I did my first cold water dive:
Place: Flaming Gorge Reservoir (Utah)
Elevation: 6040'
Water Temps: Average 61 degrees F
Max Depth: 48'
Exposure: 5mm full wetsuit over 5/3 hooded vest.
Buoyancy: Aluminum BP with 30 lb wing
Water Clarity: 8 to 15'

Went with two friends on my first cold water shore dive. At my age, I found that lugging a BC/tank with extra weight for cold water was more than I bargained for. We dove in a threesome and even with bright flashlights, I found I could lose sight of the other two in the dark murky water in the blink of the eye. That was REALLY disconcerting to me. On the first dive, my mask constantly leaked cold water, I forgot to run the harness through the crotch strap and I didn't have sufficient weight to stop a slow ascent when my tank got low. So with the others out of sight, I found their bubbles on the surface and swam over above them so they could find me.

The second dive went better (except for forgetting to do the back zip on my wet suit...LOL). I added 4 lb more (total of 20 lb) and I did better controlling my buoyancy. However, buoyancy is something I am still learning. While the other divers are happily searching for treasures, I spend a lot of time trying to stay at one level. There were, however, moments of blissful hovering with fish (small-mouth bass) curiously checking me out. I just need more practice.

Things I need to change: The weight pockets on my wing and waist belt are for trim and not designed for weights above 3 lb. I need bigger pockets. Cold water diving is my lot in life, so I need to seriously consider a steel tank and SS backplate. The soles of my booties (Mares Equator) are too thin for shore diving, I feel every little sharp rock. I have a long hose configuration and I need to find a better way to manage the length when I'm not in the water. Overall, I managed to not get cold for the most part, so that was a big plus! Thanks for allowing me to share.

I did my first cold water dive:
Place: Flaming Gorge Reservoir (Utah)
Elevation: 6040'
Water Temps: Average 61 degrees F
Max Depth: 48'
Exposure: 5mm full wetsuit over 5/3 hooded vest.
Buoyancy: Aluminum BP with 30 lb wing
Water Clarity: 8 to 15'

Went with two friends on my first cold water shore dive. At my age, I found that lugging a BC/tank with extra weight for cold water was more than I bargained for. We dove in a threesome and even with bright flashlights, I found I could lose sight of the other two in the dark murky water in the blink of the eye. That was REALLY disconcerting to me. On the first dive, my mask constantly leaked cold water, I forgot to run the harness through the crotch strap and I didn't have sufficient weight to stop a slow ascent when my tank got low. So with the others out of sight, I found their bubbles on the surface and swam over above them so they could find me.

The second dive went better (except for forgetting to do the back zip on my wet suit...LOL). I added 4 lb more (total of 20 lb) and I did better controlling my buoyancy. However, buoyancy is something I am still learning. While the other divers are happily searching for treasures, I spend a lot of time trying to stay at one level. There were, however, moments of blissful hovering with fish (small-mouth bass) curiously checking me out. I just need more practice.

Things I need to change: The weight pockets on my wing and waist belt are for trim and not designed for weights above 3 lb. I need bigger pockets. Cold water diving is my lot in life, so I need to seriously consider a steel tank and SS backplate. The soles of my booties (Mares Equator) are too thin for shore diving, I feel every little sharp rock. I have a long hose configuration and I need to find a better way to manage the length when I'm not in the water. Overall, I managed to not get cold for the most part, so that was a big plus! Thanks for allowing me to share.
Many open water certification courses train you for diving in local waters. From reading your write-up, I get the impression that your certification course did not train you for your local conditions. Is this correct?

rx7diver

A lot of it come with practice. You got in the cold water and that's what matters!

Many open water certification courses train you for diving in local waters. From reading your write-up, I get the impression that your certification course did not train you for your local conditions. Is this correct?

rx7diver
Correct. Islamorada is nothing like Flaming Gorge.

A water temperature of 61F is only 16C, not that cold really. We have colder than that in Sydney in winter normally (not so far this winter). Cold is relative I suppose, to me cold is under 14C. The problem really was visibility, not the cold, but even then 3 to 4.5 metres is not too bad, again, something we have to put up with in Sydney a lot. You get used to it all.

I dove tahoe once I’m the summer. Low of 52 deg at 42ft. That crap was cold. Even in a 7mm wetsuit with gloves and a hood. Nothing to see but rocks and crayfish. I’ll pass on any more cold water diving thank you.

Yea the coolest we get is about that. I dive with a 7/8mm semi dry + gloves and get fairly chilled mid winter. I’m getting softer and reckon i might buy a drysuit in another year or two.

Is cold water defined as not tropical? Ie less than 20 deg c (68deg f)?

I dove tahoe once I’m the summer. Low of 52 deg at 42ft. That crap was cold. Even in a 7mm wetsuit with gloves and a hood. Nothing to see but rocks and crayfish. I’ll pass on any more cold water diving thank you.

Cold water diving is my lot in life, so I need to seriously consider a steel tank and SS backplate.

If flipping back and forth aluminum and steel tanks, consider mounting a cam strap with 4-5 lb on your tank, or tank pockets on your cam band,
It makes the aluminum tank seem the same as a steel tank,

Diving cold its always hard to find enough real estate for lead,
Yes a SS back plate is important

Just curious how diving at 6000 ft affected your dive planning

Back
Top Bottom