Follow up on Emerald Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This debate has been going on here on SB for a long time. There are vocal proponents on both polar opposite ends of the argument. We do not, and will likely never have, the data to make an intellectual decision.

Personally, I hope the SAFMC prohibits shark baiting and feeding in the international waters off Florida. We all vote with our wallets, you either support or do not support operators that bait or feed sharks.

I have my doubts SAFMC is going to step in on this. I could be wrong, but the impression I've received is that aside from FWC there's not much interest in the issue on the regulatory agency side.

I will say this - if the sharks are starting to look at humans as food dispensers, they're pretty damn picky about it. Most of my shark dives this year have actually been with a film crew off a private boat; last I checked that bunch has been completely skunked on spotting tiger sharks all year despite diving in the same spots as Emerald and the other boats, on days when tigers were observed, and while carrying bait. The last time I went out with them was the day after Randy was injured, on the same site, and with Emerald's bait box still on the bottom. We brought a crapload of chopped barracuda down there and spent 5-6 hours trying to get a tiger with no success (plenty of lemons around, though). After that and a few other instances, I'd feel pretty confident diving those wrecks with no bait or while spearfishing.

I do think the "sharks naturally avoid humans" line is a bit oversold; they are wild animals and any feeding opportunity is going to be investigated. The past two days while doing seagrass surveys inside Sebastian Inlet we had a number of times when 3-4' bonnethead sharks would follow us around; I doubt anyone is feeding them but it seems likely they were either a) curious or b) figured bigger critters shuffling along the shoal might scare up something for them to eat. Likewise, when I dive Shark Canyon we'll usually have a few runty little Caribbean reef sharks tailing us the whole dive; they're too small to have been around for the pre-2002 shark feeds there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom