Follow up on Emerald Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a different kind of interaction, and to a different extent, yes. But I see people basically ignore their own potentially detrimental practices, and presume to 'draw a line' indicating what they do is okay, but what the other does is wrong. It can be a pretty arbitrary line. Some of the thinking I've seen put forth in support of that doesn't hold up well with what others have reported in terms of real world experience.

Everyone can draw that line for him or her self. I have no problem with that. If someone declares their personal value judgment in such a way that it comes off as a claim of objective fact, that's apt to get challenged.

I'm not out to 'sell' and persuade anybody to go on a shark feed dive. Anyone who believes it's morally wrong shouldn't. I do wish for both sides of the debate to be put forth reasonably and let people choose for themselves. There is room for intelligent, informed people to disagree here. We are not arguing whether the Earth is flat!

One area I disagree with some on is my belief people should have that choice.

Richard.

But you shouldn't be allowed that choice. That is why it is illegal in FL waters, but outfits such as Randy's flout the intent by going just outside the 3 mile limit (and sometimes not). Again by your convoluted logic we should be hand feeding bears, deer, elk, and other land based animals in Yellowstone or Yosemite for our own amusement.

But you shouldn't be allowed that choice.

Value judgment relative to your value system. We all make them, but worth recognizing for what it is. Like if a PETA member told me the same thing about eating a cheeseburger.

That is why it is illegal in FL waters, but outfits such as Randy's flout the intent by going just outside the 3 mile limit (and sometimes not).

I expect them to stay past the 3 mile mark (he's been charged with being within it before, denied guilt, that got controversial and was discussed in an older thread). Florida's jurisdiction is limited so there is a limit to their ability to tell people what to do. I'm okay with the 3 mile limit; that ought to keep people from shark feeding by beaches, for example. My concern there isn't Randy but what other, especially non-professional people might do.

Again by your convoluted logic we should be hand feeding bears, deer, elk, and other land based animals in Yellowstone or Yosemite for our own amusement.

1.) My thinking's not particularly convoluted. I imagine you're referring to my drawing parallels between people's shark feed diving objections and practices they engage in and don't find objectionable. I try to explain my thinking clearly.

2.) I was initially guarded against shark feed diving, and my mind changed on the matter by considering discussions about it over a few years, especially on Scuba Board. I do not generalize the shark feed issue to dealing with higher land mammals. Some bears are prone to come around human habitation and desensitizing them to people is considered very dangerous, not just on theoretical grounds but actual experience. If someone wanted to take tourists to watch hand-feeding grizzlies I'd be appalled, but I'd try to consider new evidence with an open mind.

We do see reef sharks coming around groups of divers in a non-threatening way fairly often, but lion fish feeding, not what Randy's doing, is thought to be the culprit there. And that 'mosey by' behavior can be seen in places like Belize and the Caymans, where operations like the Emerald aren't active.

3.) There is no 'we.' I don't believe the evidence base against it warrants denying choice/liberty to those who wish to participate. Those who wish, may, those who wish not, need not. At least until in the fullness of time we learn a lot more than we know now.

Richard.

giphy.gif

Yes! I think speeding up the video makes the scene look more aggressive and scary than it was. Unless the video feed to my phone is making it fast and a little choppy.

I don't plan to apply to be a shark hand FEEDER though...:wink:!

This was a circus act to the Nth degree....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom