Flying with dive equipment tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry on computers, regs, fins, bp/w and my laptop/tablets... Clothes I can do without on vacation and swim wear is available everywhere...

I went to Panama and did what you did. Computer in carry on. But I brought weights, and they were also in carry on and questioned by security--they figured these would probably not be a good choice of weapon and let them pass. I would suggest a solid suitcase to pack the reg in, and wrap well as suggested. I've heard some people wear their BCD onto the plane as clothes so it doesn't take up space & weight. This seems a good idea to me except that it would probably raise a few eyebrows at security.

I went to Panama and did what you did. Computer in carry on. But I brought weights, and they were also in carry on and questioned by security--they figured these would probably not be a good choice of weapon and let them pass. I would suggest a solid suitcase to pack the reg in, and wrap well as suggested. I've heard some people wear their BCD onto the plane as clothes so it doesn't take up space & weight. This seems a good idea to me except that it would probably raise a few eyebrows at security.

Yeah but I love making security uncomfortable... Especially during pat downs when I moan as the frisk my legs... I have even been know to ask if that is as high as they want to go...

I always carry my regs, computer and mask with me in my carry-on (as well as my log book) sometimes my light...

The rest (fins, backplate/wing wetsuit, booties) goes in a separate suitcase, or I ship it (if it's going to the Florida Keys....I send it to the UPS store in Key Largo)

The TSA is pretty much used to the stuff I carry....since the airlines charge so much for luggage these days, if I can ship it, it's a good thing!

Pad your regs with that bubble wrap and dust the rubber hoses with pure talc. Place your mask inside one of those grade school lunch boxes. Put your computers in zip lock bags and then inside Tupperware... No, I got that part backwards- Tupperware first then the ziplock. Then buy the #1820 Pellican case, I get the one in orange in case of aircrash, try to stuff that small amount of stuff into it.

Don't worry about not putting Scuba stickers on it so as to not attract attention- the Pellican will just blend into the crowd.

Not.

Regulators have two interesting features: #1: once taken out of the dive shop, they are not worth stealing, and #2: you can pound nails with them.

Only an absolute idiot of a thief would bother to try to conceal one to remove it from baggage, and since they have limited resale value even if you bought it yesterday and left it in the box, thieves don't want them. Play It Again sports won't bother with them. You believe it is valuable, that's why you paid so much for it, right?

Dive shops want you to believe that they should be serviced often, even more so if you handle them or move them about.

Get a nice backpack. If you plane ride damages anything you have neatly packed inside, I'm guessing whatever did that prolly broke a few of your bones. Plastic Pelican style boxes in aircraft cabins are very sexy, but are the mark of illogic.

The bacpack? Stuff into it whatever you desire, just understand that commonly accepted wisdom as to "need" to hand carry certain objects might be suspect.

Reason, think, act.

Pad your regs with that bubble wrap and dust the rubber hoses with pure talc. Place your mask inside one of those grade school lunch boxes. Put your computers in zip lock bags and then inside Tupperware... No, I got that part backwards- Tupperware first then the ziplock. Then buy the #1820 Pellican case, I get the one in orange in case of aircrash, try to stuff that small amount of stuff into it.

Don't worry about not putting Scuba stickers on it so as to not attract attention- the Pellican will just blend into the crowd.

Not.

Regulators have two interesting features: #1: once taken out of the dive shop, they are not worth stealing, and #2: you can pound nails with them.

Only an absolute idiot of a thief would bother to try to conceal one to remove it from baggage, and since they have limited resale value even if you bought it yesterday and left it in the box, thieves don't want them. Play It Again sports won't bother with them. You believe it is valuable, that's why you paid so much for it, right?

Dive shops want you to believe that they should be serviced often, even more so if you handle them or move them about.

Get a nice backpack. If you plane ride damages anything you have neatly packed inside, I'm guessing whatever did that prolly broke a few of your bones. Plastic Pelican style boxes in aircraft cabins are very sexy, but are the mark of illogic.

The bacpack? Stuff into it whatever you desire, just understand that commonly accepted wisdom as to "need" to hand carry certain objects might be suspect.

Reason, think, act.

Why do I carry on most of my dive gear? It's not because I worry about theft or damage. It's because I want to have it when I arrive at my destination. I have had too much experience with lost luggage to feel comfortable with checking my gear. Between my backpack and a duffle bag, I can carry on all essential dive gear but fins. I use a canvas duffle because it can conform to my BCD. I fill the pockets with small items, leave the SMB and such clipped in place then put the regular set inside the BC with mask, snorkel and boots and pad with wetsuit. As Doc said, I figure it gets beaten up more shore diving in Bonaire then anything that can happen with me on the plane.

Maybe I'm incredibly lucky but I've never had lost luggage in 35+ years of regular flying in over 10 countries. I've literally flown hundreds of thousands of miles in a year and only twice have had delayed luggage. Once was a 9 1/2 foot long surfboard that arrived before I even finished getting my rental car. The other was a cancelled flight I mentioned in my previous post. Either I'm doing something incredibly right or other people who have a lot of examples of lost luggage are doing something incredibly wrong. I'm not sure which.

As for protecting gear, this stuff is damn near bulletproof. Pack it in with your regular clothing and it will more than survive. If you must protect your computer, just wear it like a watch or pack it inside a couple of socks in the center of your bag. If you're the kind that worries about scratches, by all means, pack it in a pelican and take as much space/weight as you can of your limited allotment, but you won't really be gaining anything except headaches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom