Flying with a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beanbag1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It was always my understanding, although I have never tried to take a cylinder on a flight, that the manifold had to be removed in order to satisfy airline safety requirements.

However, I am planning to take my pony abroad and on checking with the airline was told it just needed to be empty and the valve fully open to prove there was no air in it. I am not sure the person I was speaking to really knew what they were talking about given their response to some other questions about what sort of dive kit was accepted as free extra baggage (sports allowance).

Can anyone who has direct experience of flying with a pony as baggage tell me what you were required to do?

I really don't want to take this guy's word for it and end up in the check in line trying to find tools to remove the manifold...

i was told the valve has to be removed in case they want to inspect inside the bottle. mine came with a little cap that plugs the opening to keep out debris when the valve is off the tank.

It was always my understanding, although I have never tried to take a cylinder on a flight, that the manifold had to be removed in order to satisfy airline safety requirements.

However, I am planning to take my pony abroad and on checking with the airline was told it just needed to be empty and the valve fully open to prove there was no air in it. I am not sure the person I was speaking to really knew what they were talking about given their response to some other questions about what sort of dive kit was accepted as free extra baggage (sports allowance).

Can anyone who has direct experience of flying with a pony as baggage tell me what you were required to do?

I really don't want to take this guy's word for it and end up in the check in line trying to find tools to remove the manifold...

You should ask this on the rebreather sub-group. They must deal with this problem every time they fly with their gear

This has been the subject of at least one recent post on this board. Depending on your source, TSA, airlines, etc., you will probably hear different stories, but I flew with a 30 cubic foot pony in December and can confirm that the valve must be removed from the tank.

I took a 19 pony to Cozumel and yes I removed the valve and plugged the hole with a plastic plug you can get from any dive shop. It's heavy so it's worthwhile to take an extra checked bag to avoid overweight fees. I found the fee for an extra bag lower than overweight fees.

Last edited:
On the International flights I have made with the pony, valve has to be removed and it must be in checked baggage not carry on. I have simply placed a piece of clear tape over the neck of the tank to keep debris out and had no problems.

The TSA website says the valve is required to be removed, open isn't good enough.
Compressed Gas Cylinders | Transportation Security Administration

print this out and tape it to your tank when you travel... I'd also recommend giving yourself enough time to talk to the x-ray operator beforehand if that's an option at your airport(s) of choice. Giving them a warning that there is a scuba tank in there with no valve might help make your bag more likely to get through the inspection.

I think it is reasonable to consider that if you are flying with a cylinder that the TSA official you encounter will have never encountered it before. As such, you are going to get very differing interpretations of the rules. I would not be surprised if people have made it through security with a closed valve and a full cylinder, and on the other side.

I think the best bet is to print the rules off of the TSA website, follow them, and be ready to hand the print out to the TSA official at the airport. If it is a smaller airport, you may even be able to phone ahead and talk to someone at the security checkpoint to let them know you are coming.

If you are making connections, you might also want to check ahead to see if it is necessary to go through a security checkpoint before making your connection.

I have traveled with a pony (valve removed) in carry on luggage with no issues. Here is the TSA regulation:

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in
compressed_gas.jpg
checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

You're in the UK, others are giving you US-TSA answers, and we don't know where you are going? The rules & regs are probably similar but check with your national equivalent. Over here, the airlines do not have authority to search checked bags so it's up to our TSA.

What is a tank manifold? Once your remove the valve with dip tube, there is nothing left inside. :idk:

i was told the valve has to be removed in case they want to inspect inside the bottle. mine came with a little cap that plugs the opening to keep out debris when the valve is off the tank.
That does not actually satisfy the TSA rule which says it has to be open, but I'd used 2" electrical tape, both ends doubled back for easy removal, many times. I've seen agents remove it to peer inside and others just look at it on Ct-Scan here in the dry Texas Panhandle. I have not been able to watch inspections on returns from dive locations or when rechecked after customs for final flight, but they probably seen them a lot and I have never had problems.

I have traveled with a pony (valve removed) in carry on luggage with no issues. Here is the TSA regulation:

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in
compressed_gas.jpg
checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
You see, using tape is a "seal" but I've always got away with it, as long as the tape can be removed easily and replaced. I pack the valve rolled in bubble-wrap and taped securely.

On arrival at your destination, check the tank to make sure it's still empty - no debris, then replace the valve hand tight, and get it to the fill shack. Technically it is supposed to be Vized after all this, but it's for your personal use - so if you feel it is safe, cool. :thumb:

For departure, be sure you have replacement tape, and you may need a wrench to loosen the valve. It's supposed to be hand tight only, but some fill shacks will still over tighten - bad for the O-ring, but happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom